Fermenting issues

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hollow Legs

Regular.
Reaction score
Hello the Brewing Massive,

I have a question for you all, I started two Coopers Euro lagers at the same time using the same additives(Tate & Lyle) 1Kg,
Kit supplied yeast & 23Ltrs of tap water.

I sterilised both FV's with a Videne solution (1.25ml per 1ltr water mix) drained etc...etc.

One started fermenting the next day(blibbing), but the other did not! :evil: I gave it a gentle stir and left it and it started to blib in the airlock but didn't get too excited as I know that it was a reaction of disturbing the yeast.

It stopped the following day so I added some Lager yeast and left it, it blibbed for another day then stopped, I took a reading and it was 1.012 so left it for a couple more days - still 1.012 so bottled it (after reading Big Yins stuck fermentation) Thanks for that Big Yin et al

I now have 23Ltrs of what looks like very cloudy scrumpy it was bottled on Wednesday just gone and has not cleared any

I have had this happen before and the lager tasted ok but looked awful.....any advise or info welcome. :cheers:

It may have been best to use beer finings before bottling in the FV but it shouldn't matter, let the bottles carb up then when it comes to the cold conditioning phase the cool air makes the proteins (which cloud the beer) heavier enabling them to drop out of suspension and the beer will clear. All you can do now is wait. It helps if the beer stays in the FV for maybe 2 to 3 weeks, this also helps with clearing. Still, it seems like a success :D.

Thanks for the reply, :thumb: we are now into October, so have left them for a few weeks. I tried one the other day and it tasted better but not great so I will leave it another month or so, they are still cloudy and have not cleared down any.

I'm really disappointed as this is my first bad brew (and I have done lots of good Coopers Euro lagers). :cheers:

H L, did you add priming sugars to the bottles ? Assuming you did it's far too early to start talking about clarity. The bottles should be left at room temp for 7 - 14 days and then moved to a cooler location for the beer to condition. Minimum time from bottling to drinking is about 2 weeks, preferably 4. If you still have clarity issues after that, and with this being a kit, I'd be worried about infection, hopefully not.

Keep us informed :thumb:

Hi Vossy1

On this occasion I used up some Coopers carb drops that I had kicking around ( I usually batch prime), and it was left in the airing cupboard for two weeks or so (my original post was on the 18th of September) the brew is carbonated ok just cloudy.

I have a feeling that I didn't clean the FV out good enough, I usually clean the FV with VWP and use Videne on everything else but was in a rush so I think you are correct in assuming some sort of contamination.

Thankyou for the reply :thumb:

Back