Fermenting with co2

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you only do ales the best way without going to a great deal of expense is ferment in a cube with the co2 going into a second cube but vent off until the last day, shut off the gas outlet, when finished transfer from 1st to 2nd cube via taps at the bottom. As the beer transfers to prevent a vacuum recirculate the gas from the 2nd cube back into the 1st cube, you will have an oxygen free transfer and a beer to drink straight from the secondary. These pics are of my first attempt (I have posted before in another thread) but these were without a spunding valve, but you could rig up an elastic band to use as a spunding valve. I did pressure test the cubes beforehand up to 26 psi, and the English beer was as clear as could be yeast dropped right out.
001.JPG
way to much pressure on my first attempt, take no notice of the cheap gauge they don't become accurate until around 25 psi.
005.JPG
First beer straight out of secondary with a gravity pour, only after a couple of days in secondary
001.JPG
The last pint about 10 days later.

Back