Festival ales

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mines been in the FV for 6 days now, it says to add the hops on day 5 but have read in a few places that people tend to wait until a bit further down the line as fermentation generally takes longer than stated, am I right in thinking that the later I had the hops the stronger the hop taste will be in the beer? Also if I add them too early is there the risk of producing a very bitter taste? Thanks for any advice. :-D

So is the hop taste stronger if you add them later? It's been a week in FV now and the hydrometer has only dropped to 1018 from 1042 so still a way to go yet.

I think the hop taste is stronger the longer they are left in?I'm not sure to be honest as I've only been brewing kits for about 3 months, I'm just going off the advice from the guy in the local homebrew shop.
I don't like it really,really hoppy so I wait until the hydrometer is around 1010 then chuck them in, check that I have a constant reading over the next 3 days then bottle. f you want it stronger tasting maybe leave them in longer?
Cheers

I thought that it would make sense that it would taste stronger if they were left in longer but thought I had read elsewhere that it was the opposite?! Think I'll add them about 5 days before going into the PB. Cheers.

Back