Festival Landlord Ale kit Carbination

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mush59

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi All
I've don't quite a few kits now and I have started kegging resently and all beers have been good. When finished fermenting I have been taking 6 bottles and then the rest into a keg, seal the keg, purge the keg a couple of times and then leave carbinating for a couple of weeks at approx 10 psi in the fridge and then take it from there, the brews I've done just seem to get better as time goes on.
That's just a bit of info on how I'm doing it, this kit has a sachet of priming sugar and tells you to add it to the keg.
Should I do this or is there no need if carbinating with co2 over a couple of week.
Cheers John

As you are force carbonating from the sounds of things their is no need to add the priming sugar (I suspect these instructions are based on the assumption you are using a pressure barrel which typically is carbonated with priming sugar.

Hi Mush,

When brewing kits I usually put the priming sugar (if supplied) into the fermenter at the beginning along with any other fermentable’s L.M.E, glucose or whatever. (waste not want not!)

When the brew is ready I fill the keg, attach a co2 line (at about 15 psi though not to pedantic about this) and roll it a few times on the floor then it’s into my chiller. (still connected to a co2 line). The beer does not take to long to carbonate to my taste after that, the time is mainly to let the beer settle and develop a bit. After all co2 is co2 no matter where it comes from.

I have in the past filled a couple of bottles more out of curiosity to see how they compared with the kegged beer but I bought the kegs too do away with all the faffing about with bottles and now tend to brew short with just enough beer to fill a keg.

The beer did taste different though and I can well understand why some brewers prefer bottles to kegs.

I do this to all my beer whether its destined to be served via taps or my hand pull the only difference is I attach a cask aspirator (shock, horror) to the keg attached to the hand pull.

I’m happy with the results YMMV.

Latest posts

Back