Final SG ??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prospectjim66

Reaction score
Morning,
Just going to bottle my St. Peter’s Golden Ale this morning and checked the SG, it’s 1.000 and started at 1.040, so am I right in thinking the ABV is 5.24?? It seems a bit high to me but I’m no expert, very much a novice, what do you guys think?

If you haven’t already it would be worth double checking your hydrometer calibration (basically should read at roughly 1.000 in 20C water as while it is possible for beer to ferment this low, 1.000 is lower than would be expected (I was surprised when this kit fermented out to 1.005 when I made it a few years ago.)

As @obscure says, double check your hydrometer in room temperature water. It's not possible for a kit to get to 1.000 without an infection - not all of which are undesirable by the way.

Checked the hydrometer, my readings were from 1.001, 1.000 & 0.990 @ 20c 🤔
Of course the thermometer may not be deadly accurate and the hydrometer is only the one that came in my kit so maybe not the best. I’ll just wait a few weeks and see what it tastes like. 👍

Latest posts

Back