Finally! AG#1 - Boddingtons clone

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john_s

Reaction score
After hold ups for various reasons, I finally managed to get my brewery into action yesterday.

I'd settled on a Boddingtons clone recipe for the launch beer, as that's a beer I often resort to, and it's my father's beer of choice too.

I found the recipe on another forum (here) through Google so I won't repost it directly, as I'm unsure on the forum's rules about that.

Apologies for any missing pics, being my first brew the pics weren't the priority... here's how it went:

Put the HLT on to heat while I weighed out the grain (MO, carapils, crystal, chocolate):
1grain.jpg

Mash on:
2mash.jpg

The thermometer was still rising in the pic and settled at about 66.5C

Weighed out the Northern Brewer and EKG hops:
3hops.jpg

First wort hops into the boiler:
4firsthops.jpg

Mash ended at 66.3C, so lost very little (using just an Asda coolbox with an old coat over, I expected a bigger drop, TBH).

Collected the first runnings to recirculate:
5firstrunnings.jpg

The first wort in the boiler:
6inboiler.jpg

The spent grain after:
7spentgrain.jpg

Boiling away, so the chiller's ready to go in for the last 15 minutes:
8chiller.jpg

The brewing supervisor says it's looking like it's going well so far:
9brewsupervisor.jpg

Allowed the hop steep, then set the cooler running:
10cooling.jpg

Ran off a sample, OG 1.034, so a little lower than it should have been:
11sample.jpg

Sample tasted OK (I think!), but asked the BrewLab how it looked anyway.

Ran it off into the FV:
12intofv.jpg

It looked well aerated from the drop:
13air.jpg

Filth (scraped the excess foam off the FV and lobbed it in with the filth):
14filth.jpg

The BrewLab results - unconvinced:
15labtest.jpg

Pitched some S04 yeast, so go yeasties! :pray:

I used to enjoy boddies in that late 80's. Many a friday night in the Stamford arms drinking boddies. Our sixth form class tutor moonlighted there in the evenings and took register on a friday night:rofl: :rofl:

Happy Days

Then Whitbread took it over and we all left school, Boddies was never the same :( :(

I hope this turns out like boddies of old.

:cheers:

Good to see another on the AG trail :cool:

You'll never get and change out of those assistants if they're anything like mine :D
BrewLab :rofl:

Well my BrewLab doesn't like HB :oops:
He prefers Lager maybe 'cause he's only 4 yrs old still a "teenager" yet, my old dog used to love my HB and once drunk about 1/2pt out of my glass when I wasn't watching and ended up walking into the doors :lol:

rickthebrew said:
whats the next brew..............and the one after that....... :cool:

I'm not sure... spoilt for choice.

I might see how this one turns out, and if it's ****, have another go and see if I can make a better job of it second time round.

Today's update: Bottled some (for sampling :whistle: ) and kegged the rest this afternoon. It came out about 1.008, so somewhere in the region of 3.3-3.4%

I'll see how it goes as it conditions... not sure if it seemed to be a bit "thin" from the brief taster, but it might just be the lack of carbonation that was confusing the matter.

Latest posts

Back