fined then bottled = oops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mephistopholes

Reaction score
I know this was a bit silly really but ive been trying to get my beers as bright as possible a nd thought there might be enough yeast in suspension to carbonate my bottled beer but alas no bubbles. ok so i fined the beer there is 0 sediment in the bottles cold conditioned for 2 weeks at around 12 degrees.

My question is would it be possible to pop open the caps and drop a couple of grains of dry yeast in then reseal the bottles. it tastes amazing so would prefer not to drink it flat.

well i fined and primed at the same time so considering no bubbles would mean the sugar should still be there. i didnt forget the sugar the problem was that i stripped too much yeast out.

I fine before bottling, it's as clear and bright when I goes into the bottles. I'd doubt it's a lack of yeast, unless you killed the yeast with steriliser?

try it in a warm, 22degC for 5 days then allow 5 at 12degC.

ok cool. really you fine first....? thats promising. well its been sat in the warm for 4 days now i'll have a little look tonight maybe see if theres been any activity.

so you definately get good carbonation like that? and no sediment?

My question is would it be possible to pop open the caps and drop a couple of grains of dry yeast in then reseal the bottles
Sure, pop in a few shot sof yeast and 1/2 tsp sugar for ale, 1 tsp sugar for lager.

Here is what I do with my brew to make a nice clear beer with good carbination
  • Ferment down the beer as far as possible in primary fermentor[/*:m:tmyws25i]
  • Transfer to secondary fermentor and add geletine for fining. 1 sachet per 5 gallons, and geletine desolved into some of the beer rather than water, dont want to dilute my brew![/*:m:tmyws25i]
  • Move secondary femntor to a cold place for 5 days +[/*:m:tmyws25i]
  • Draw off a litre of rested beer and put onto the stove, disolve in the sugar. For lightly carbinated ale, you can add a pinch of citric acid and boil whole thing for 20 - 30 minute to create invert, but not for lager. The yeast 'inverting' the sugar produces more CO2 than alcohol, so dont use invert for an extra bubbly experience.[/*:m:tmyws25i]
  • pour sugar solution into main batch of beer, give it a good but gentle stir and leave it a few minutes (up to an hour) to really disepate the sugar evenly.[/*:m:tmyws25i]
  • Bottle in good bottles. I use recycled bottles from the local students (or pubs or restaurants) to be environmental. Brown bottles are a must, green be careful and never clear.[/*:m:tmyws25i]
  • Move bottles into a warm place (bottom of airing cupboard?) and leave them for 2 or 3 days to give the yeast a good kick start.[/*:m:tmyws25i]
  • Move beer to a cool dark place to mature. I have yet to perfect a maturing rule of thumb, but 1 month seems to work well. I was told that 1 week for every point unit of pre fermented gravity is one week maturing (e.g. start at 1.05 - 5 weeks maturing).[/*:m:tmyws25i]
  • Chill to the right temperature and enjoy![/*:m:tmyws25i]

Kyral in your method you dont add extra yeast. as ive already said ive primed the bottles with sugar for carbonating i was just worried that id taken out too much of the yeast. i think i'm gonna give it a couple of weeks in the warm then if nothing occurs drop 2-3 granuals of yeast into each bottle and reseal.

I guess you could try adding geletine finings at the same time as priming sugar so they fine bright in the bottle?

Latest posts

Back