Finings and lager

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaron9

Reaction score
Hi all,
Relatively new to this brewing stuff after being given a coopers lager kit and equipment as a gift.
I actually managed to brew some tasty lager using this, however it is not quite as clear as I would like it to be. (It has been lagering for 1 month now). People don't seem to like the sediment in the bottom of the bottle!
I bottled it straight from primary fermenter and plan to buy a second bucket in which I can do a secondary fermentation- hopefully by leaving all the yeast and particles from the bottom of the primary this will help significantly.

I was also interesting in using finings, however am concerned that the lager will be flat if I remove the yeast in this way. If I add finings to the primary fermenter, wait a bit and then put them in primed bottles, will there be enough residual yeast to carbonate the beer but little enough so that its clear?

Thanks, and looking forward to learning more about brewing and trying different recipes.

With bottles, it's best not to use finings, I would let it setlle out in the bottles, it will go very clear and fizzy over time but will leave some sediment at the bottom, not much you can do about that really.

The only way to get conditioned (fizzy) lager clear in the bottle is to filter, force carbonate and counter pressure fill the bottles, I do this but it involves a lot of kit and effort and usually only commercial brewers do it.

They've gotta get over the sediment man. trust me, it's for the greater good. if you bottle when it's clear and bright, it will be really really minimal.

Welcome to the forum :cheers:

If people don't like the sediment let them drink something else, more for you then :lol:

Latest posts

Back