Finings in a closed fermenter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Example of the amount of crud that dropped out of an already "clear" beer in the settling bucket overnight, with two-part finings.

You can see the clear beer on the side next to the tap, and the "bow wave" of fine crud coming in from the left

IMG_8561.jpeg

I started along the lines of adding the finings at atmospheric pressure at the end of fermentation before transferring to a barrel. But, as I use sugar solution to carbonate I thought that could potentially produce haze so finings needed to be added after carbonation and the beer would be under pressure in the barrel.
I think I have the bones of a process in post #9 above. I might try it on a barrel of pale ale I've just started that is a little hazy.

FWIW @Buffers brewery @Caramel Ox, I've had mixed results using just gelatine.
It seems to work with some beers but not others; and I suspect it depends on the charge on the particles you're trying to remove.
I've had much better success with 2-part finings, and also with kieselsol (silica solution) followed by gelatine.
I think using both, targets both kinds of charged particles.

FWIW @Buffers brewery @Caramel Ox, I've had mixed results using just gelatine.
It seems to work with some beers but not others; and I suspect it depends on the charge on the particles you're trying to remove.
I've had much better success with 2-part finings, and also with kieselsol (silica solution) followed by gelatine.
I think using both, targets both kinds of charged particles.
Good to know. I'll see if my process works first asad. before refining the fining :coat:

The GEB video talks about 'optimising' your finings. There are a number of factors that can impact the success and therefore determine what your finings dosage should be, so if you've not had success with finings then you're probably dosing incorrectly or using at a sub-optimal temperature.

I always transfer from the FV into a clean bucket, then add finings and wait 24h before racking off to keg athumb..
It's surprising how much drops out of it in the intermediate bucket and I don't really want that in my keg...

EDIT: I should add that sometimes if the beer is proving extremely cloudy and I'm in a hurry, I have occasionally depressurised the keg and added gelatine... but I prefer not to do it
Do you do anything about co2 in the secondary? I haven’t chased clarity until now and not sure what to expect based on the beer out of the fermenter.

You've given me an idea :?:ashock1. I could add the finings to the pressure barrel through the beer out post after carbonation and at the start of conditioning? How about this for a (complicated) method...
Prepare finings solution and pour into an empty sanitised coke bottle.
Fill a beer bottle with newly carbonated beer (counter pressure fill)
Carefully transfer the beer to the solution in the coke bottle.
Back fill the beer/finings solution back into the keg.
?
That works for me while using a floating dip tube.

You've given me an idea :?:ashock1. I could add the finings to the pressure barrel through the beer out post after carbonation and at the start of conditioning? How about this for a (complicated) method...
Prepare finings solution and pour into an empty sanitised coke bottle.
Fill a beer bottle with newly carbonated beer (counter pressure fill)
Carefully transfer the beer to the solution in the coke bottle.
Back fill the beer/finings solution back into the keg.
?
Further thought on this method. Just put the gelatine solution into a 500ml beer bottle and use counter pressure filler to top up with beer. Then, still using the CPF reduce barrel pressure (I’ll fit a spundy to the gas post) and increase bottle pressure to drive the beer/gelatine mixture back into the barrel. Possibly, refill the bottle from the barrel then return to the barrel to flush beer/finings mixture from the lines.
Watch this space ashock1

Further thought on this method. Just put the gelatine solution into a 500ml beer bottle and use counter pressure filler to top up with beer. Then, still using the CPF reduce barrel pressure (I’ll fit a spundy to the gas post) and increase bottle pressure to drive the beer/gelatine mixture back into the barrel. Possibly, refill the bottle from the barrel then return to the barrel to flush beer/finings mixture from the lines.
Watch this space ashock1
I've been using this for a couple of years without any problems, I use Brausol special from The Malt Miller, I've not used gelatin.
IMG_20240430_102059.jpg

Just one more question about using gelatine. Do you have to add the gelatine solution to the beer while it (the gelatine solution) is still warm or can it be left to cool? The beer will already be cold.

Just one more question about using gelatine. Do you have to add the gelatine solution to the beer while it (the gelatine solution) is still warm or can it be left to cool? The beer will already be cold.
To work properly the gelatin has to be blanched in cold water and brought up to 68-70C in the microwave (prevents clumping) and put into the fermenter at fermenter temperature of 0C. If you let the gelatin solution cool then it will set.

To work properly the gelatin has to be blanched in cold water and brought up to 68-70C in the microwave (prevents clumping) and put into the fermenter at fermenter temperature of 0C. If you let the gelatin solution cool then it will set.
Thanks @foxy . I thought that might be the case but everything I read on line talked about how to prepare the gelatine solution and how to cool the beer before adding it but nothing explicit about adding the gelatine while still hot to the cold beer. acheers.

Watch this space ashock1
That is best option.

Latest posts

Back