first 25 ltr white grape wow

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billmcc

Reaction score
first thanks for the WOW. i have just tried my first all white grape wine 25 ltr version
14 ltr tesco grape juice
3.5 kg sugar
topped up to 25 ltr then
5 spoon pectaloze
1 cup very strong tea
1pkt essencia super 6 yeast
start sg 1.090@30dc
f g 0.990 in 3 days wow again= about 14%abv

juice about £11.00
sugar =£2.00
yeast= £3.69
finings= £2.00

25 ltr now clearing seems like a bargain to me

billmcc said:
yeast= £3.69
finings= £2.00
WHAT!!! HOW MUCH??? :eek: :shock: :eek: :shock: :eek:

A sachet of wine yeast should be around £1.
A tub of wine yeast compound costs in the region of £2 - £2.50 and will start several fermentations.
A sachet of wine finings (to treat up to 5 gallons) should leave change from £1.
I pay £2.45 for a 250ml bottle of Vinclear which will treat at least 20 gallons.

I've never heard of that yeast you mentioned and will have to go and look it up, but it sounds akin to the Alcotec turbo yeasts. Anything which can drop 100 points in 3 days sounds like a fekkin' awful idea to me. :sick:

Edit: As I suspected, it's a wash yeast, for countries like New Zealand where home distillation is legal. Your brew may still be drinkable if you're not too fussy.

Hi Moley, The yeast was the first from the brew shop shelf i was amazed at is speed as regards the taste its passable the slow ferment is better but its dry and crisp with good flavour from the grape juice. but 23ltr fermented cleared and bottled within 5 days seems quick to me so stocks can be built up :thumb: and for a first go at a large batch i'm pleased

Cheers Billmcc

Back