First AG (Ringwood Old Thumper) - Wowzers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kudos1uk

Reaction score
I have just siphoned off my first ever AG into my pressure barrel and ....... wow!

The recipe (Ringwood Old Thumper - GW)
OG:1056 FG:1010 ABV: 5.6

23L (90 Minute mash)
5360g Pale Malt
345g Torrified Wheat
230g Crystal Malt
35g Chocolate Malt

Boil (90 Minute)
41g Challenger (start of boil)
14g Goldings + 3g Irish Moss (last 10 Minute of boil)
8g Goldings (End of boil)
Wyeast Ringwood 1187.

I had a OG of 1060 (should be 1058) and ended with FG 1005 (should be 1010) with ABV of 7.2% (should be (5.6%) and 19L (should be 23L)

I Mashed with a bag in my 33l burco boiler with voltage controller to manage temperature, It's been fermenting for two weeks and started a bit fast as I was struggling to keep it cool because I started the day before that hottest day we had, I also lost a bit on the floor as I was struggling with my sparging using a turkey roaster with holes I pierced in the bottom.

The only mistake I think I made was to put the Irish Moss in the hop bag with the hops and took it out after cooling with my cooler, I think it should have been left in but it's beautifully clear already.

But wow, I'm very happy with the result, it's beautifully clear, it smells fantastic and even though it only finished in the fermenter today it even tastes fantastic already.
I am about as chuffed as anyone could be with my first brew athumb.. ....... And.... It tastes just like Ringwood Old Thumper (maybe with more of a thump at 7.2%)

Back