First attempt at yeast washing..

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlanManley

Landlord.
Reaction score
So I followed this "how to"
http://homebrewacademy.com/yeast-washing/
Does this look right? Just put it in the fridge and seems a bit murky still?
ef5f344a76c473bf4f17291af98533d5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Check again in a few hours. Layers should have started to form in the liquid and after a day or two there will be an obvious yeast cake forming at the bottom.

Looks fine, a few hours in the fridge and you'll see the layer of yeast at the bottom of each jar.

If your aim is to re-use your original yeast, I would suggest you also try the "overbuild" method where you collect your yeast from an extra-large starter a few days before brew day. See which method you prefer.

I've found it's a lot less hassle, and there's a handy calculator for what size starter you'll need here: http://www.brewunited.com/yeast_calculator.php

My typical process looks like this:

- Pitch my liquid yeast into a 3 litre starter of extra light DME
- Let it ferment out until the yeast has flocculated
- Swirl vigorously to get everything back into suspension
- Pour off about 1 litre into a sanitised mason jar
- Mason jar goes into the fridge and becomes the yeast for the next overbuild starter next time
- Pitch the remaining 2 litres into the beer on brew day

Pros: No "washing", no excess trub or hops in mason jars. No repetitive settling/dumping to get the yeast
Cons: Need a large enough vessel for the starter, requires DME (if you don't usually do a starter)

Last edited:
They're looking good now.

Was planning on using one this evening I had read I can pour half the top off shake well then pitch? That sound about right as it's less than 24 hrs old? Then I'll do a starter for future uses?
49290a6ad161ca6a0b976254640ec628.jpg

They're looking great now!

When ready to use, I'd suggest gently decanter most of the beer, leaving just enough to allow you to swirl the yeast slurry and loosen it up so it can be poured.

I would still recommend a yeast starter first though, as after washing you can't really be sure of cell count or viability. Although you do look like you've harvested a nice thick, clean layer of yeast there! :thumb:

I went with a careful decanter of most of the liquid a good shake and straight pitch.

It was less than 24hrs after harvest so thought itd be ok, it's now busy fermenting away a gooden with my Blueberry IPA.

I will however do a starter on the next batch I use. 😁

Back