Washing Yeast after dry hop

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi people
Does anybody have a trick to removing hop particles from the yeast slurry after fermentation. I like to wash my yeast and save it in the the fridge for future brews, just my little money saver.. But after dry hopping obviously I get a mix of both left in the bottom. I know I could dry hop using a sock or large tea strainers but prefer not to do that, as I find I get much more flavour when I throw the hops in loose. Iv thought of just collecting the “mix” and saving that but was thinking the hop particles may give off the bitter grassy flavours in my next brew.
Anybody got around this problem. ?

Hi people
Does anybody have a trick to removing hop particles from the yeast slurry after fermentation. I like to wash my yeast and save it in the the fridge for future brews, just my little money saver.. But after dry hopping obviously I get a mix of both left in the bottom. I know I could dry hop using a sock or large tea strainers but prefer not to do that, as I find I get much more flavour when I throw the hops in loose. Iv thought of just collecting the “mix” and saving that but was thinking the hop particles may give off the bitter grassy flavours in my next brew.
Anybody got around this problem. ?
Yes, don't save yeast which you have dry hopped over. Why? When you dry hop there is a good chance there are bacteria on the hops, while they may not be able to have any effect on the beer which they are pitched into (due to low pH) washing and storing in fridge could give them a good foothold when pitched into the next brew. What could save you a few dollars yeast wise could end up costing you a lot if the brew is ruined. Drop the yeast before dry hopping or don't dry hop over yeast you want to save.

Yes, don't save yeast which you have dry hopped over. Why? When you dry hop there is a good chance there are bacteria on the hops, while they may not be able to have any effect on the beer which they are pitched into (due to low pH) washing and storing in fridge could give them a good foothold when pitched into the next brew. What could save you a few dollars yeast wise could end up costing you a lot if the brew is ruined. Drop the yeast before dry hopping or don't dry hop over yeast you want to save.
Thanks for the heads up 👍🏽

What if you bag you're dry hop

Back