First beer down the drain

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simonh82

Landlord.
Reaction score
I've been brewing for 2 1/2 years and so far have always made beers that I've enjoyed. Unfortunately, I've finally ended up with a beer that will be going down the drain. What's even more galling is that it was a perfectly fine lager until I tried to jazz it up with some extra dry hops.

The beer was meant to be a bit pilsner-like, although I used Maris Otter instead of lager malt but otherwise it was a good first effort at a lager. It was clean, with fairly light malt flavour, low hop bitterness and aroma. After kegging and drinking it for a week, I decided that whilst it was a fine drink, it wasn't really what I wanted to drink an entire keg of. I thought that I would jazz it up by chucking in 100g of Rakua hops in a nylon hop bag.

I don't know whether it was because the hops were off (although they were 2017 harvest and vacuum sealed) but when I sampled it the following day, my lovely bright clear beer had gone murkier than a NEIPA and smelt strongly of cheesy/cat sick aroma.

I've kept it in the keg for a couple more weeks now to see if it will improve but every glass is just as disgusting. I'm gutted, given that the base beer was fine, if a bit uninteresting for my taste.

Before it goes down the drain, does anyone know if there is a way to get rid of the butyric/isovaleric acid flavour which I believe are the culprits for this mess?

Whatever happens, I'm not going to be using Rakua hops again.

Brettanomyces will turn isovaleric acid into nice fruity esters, although this will also have a dramatic effect on the beers flavour and FG. Something quite subtle like Brettanomyces Claussenii could very well turn it into something quite interesting. Not sure about Butyric, but guess the same would happen as both are quite prevalent in the 'sick' stage of beers like Lambic. I don't think I've ever had a beer that has been made worse by an addition of Brettanomyces. Embrace the funk.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Brettanomyces will turn isovaleric acid into nice fruity esters, although this will also have a dramatic effect on the beers flavour and FG. Something quite subtle like Brettanomyces Claussenii could very well turn it into something quite interesting. Not sure about Butyric, but guess the same would happen as both are quite prevalent in the 'sick' stage of beers like Lambic. I don't think I've ever had a beer that has been made worse by an addition of Brettanomyces. Embrace the funk.

I saw on the milk the funk page that only some Brett can do this. Do you know of a strain that will definitely do this?

I saw on the milk the funk page that only some Brett can do this. Do you know of a strain that will definitely do this?
Definitely? No, sorry. Brett is a fickle beast. Milkthefunk is probably the best resource. I would say that the dregs from a Gueuze bottle will most likely contain strains that do metabolise Butyric acid, but you'll also be adding bacteria to the mix.

However, one would imagine your problem is isovaleric acid and not Butyric acid, through oxidised hops rather than bacterial infection. So most, if not all Brettanomyces strains should deal with it.

It's never a fun thing having to tip a batch :(

Whatever happens, I'm not going to be using Rakua hops again.

While there's a possibility that your hops were to blame for this unfortunate off-taste, it does seem from what you say about their storage they should really have been OK. But who knows? I wonder though why your would blame the variety and swear not to use Rakau again rather then cast your suspicions on what is more likely the issue - a possible flaw in the date/packaging/storage ? This problem could have occurred with any hop, not just this one particular variety.

I'm sure Rakua hops can be fine but if they have ruined this beer when they appear to have been packaged correctly and have been freezer stored since purchase then they must be a variety that is easily susceptible to oxidation.

There are so many great hops out there that unless someone presents me with a brilliant Rakua hopped beer, which changes my mind, I'm not going to risk another batch just to see if I was unlucky.

So far I have enjoyed all my lagers much more without dry hops. Drinking a dry hopped Lager now, citra and amarillo and it has not done it any favours. Don't get me wrong it's nice seems out of place to my palate. Aroma oils I like though. I have some hallertau to try.

So far I have enjoyed all my lagers much more without dry hops. Drinking a dry hopped Lager now, citra and amarillo and it has not done it any favours. Don't get me wrong it's nice seems out of place to my palate. Aroma oils I like though. I have some hallertau to try.

I'm just not a big fan of lagers. I though I should have a go at one but after drinking a bit of it, I wanted something with a bit more flavour. I though that the dry hops would basically turn it into a pale ale. Unfortunately they ruined it.

I'm sure Rakua hops can be fine but if they have ruined this beer when they appear to have been packaged correctly and have been freezer stored since purchase then they must be a variety that is easily susceptible to oxidation.

I think that sometimes you just get a dodgy packet of hops.

I made an Amarillo Pale Ale - loved it. Bought some more Amarillo and made a beer based on the previous recipe - horrible. Even bought an Amarillo beer from M&S to check, that was fine. So my only conclusion is the batch of Amarillo I have is damaged in some way. Still have some left, kinda want to use them but I'm really not sure - might make up a small 10L batch.

Latest posts

Back