Metal beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you so much JB, will do exactly that.

The thought of washing-up liquid actually ran through my head, but I talked myself out of it lol. My dad used to call it grease killer 🤣

Would you use the soft side of the sponge or the rougher side? I have white ones which aren't as scratchy, but I wouldn't use the green coarser ones.

How do I get inside the tap bit properly?
I would probably go with the soft side of the sponge unless something is stuck and needs a scrub. The white side won't scratch the steel so it's safe to use (that's what I use). Washing up liquid will be ideal at getting rid of the oils and anything stuck to them.

Use a small bottle brush (if you have one, the ones for baby bottles or turkey basters are ideal) for the inside of the tap and any racking arms.

Thank you so much JB, will do exactly that.

The thought of washing-up liquid actually ran through my head, but I talked myself out of it lol. My dad used to call it grease killer 🤣

Would you use the soft side of the sponge or the rougher side? I have white ones which aren't as scratchy, but I wouldn't use the green coarser ones.

How do I get inside the tap bit properly?

I used the rough (green) side of a washing up sponge. It's not going to damage normal stainless steel, you only want to avoid those for teflon cookware, where you can scratch up the plasticky teflon coating. With stainless steel you can get away with the metal scrubbers when you have something really stuck on. Don't worry about 'passivating', clean and dry stainless will passivate itself when exposed to air, it's only when you get stuff like salt or bleach on it that eats the passivation layer that you would want to do a passivation step.

Where I've had some left over grey spots after fermenting I've used Barkeeper's Friend too.

The tap you can just soak in some warm soapy water, but really it's not going to contribute much metallic taste with the brief contact it gets to your beer. The issue you're getting is more down to the bulk of the steel sitting in contact with an acidic and alcoholic liquid for days (acids and alcohol make great solvents for all kinds of things!).

Take the tap apart as far as you can and soak in soapy water. You can take the valve apart with an allen/hex key in one end and an adjustable spanner around the body.

Don't worry about 'passivating', clean and dry stainless will passivate itself when exposed to air,
Thanks Jocky. I've always been curious about why everyone advised passivating stainless steel given the whole point of stainless is that the chromium forms a protective oxide layer in the first place. But I'm not a metallurgist. I had wondered whether it was just the echo chamber of internet forums repeating themselves.

I've never seen instructions on stainless steel cookware to passivate it before use, so don't know why brewery kit would be any different! (I didn't passivate my stainless kit and didn't have any issues (though did clean it with fairy before the first use).

I've never seen instructions on stainless steel cookware to passivate it before use, so don't know why brewery kit would be any different!
I think it stems from some brew kit being based on of existing products. Like standard pots, or AIO that look like adaptations of the existing boilers. The protective layer can be compromised by additional processes such as drilling or etching and having bolts, washers, piping etc sourced from different places. Cleaning and passivating on first use is just an insurance. Most cookware is just made then sold to the end user.

I've given it a go with washing up liquid, but it wasn't as effective as this that I use in my kitchen. This stuff has even got the brown / black stains off from the krausen line, and I could literally smell the oil before. Can't smell anything now. 😊

20231129_142834.jpg
20231129_142856.jpg

Yes they're my favourite, especially the glass cleaner it's amazing. I put mine in a plant watering bottle diluted (I buy the concentrated one) and use a squeegee to clean my windows. Done in a flash. Got the bathroom cleaners too and the hob cleaner for my induction hob.

I could imagine that
I've given it a go with washing up liquid, but it wasn't as effective as this that I use in my kitchen. This stuff has even got the brown / black stains off from the krausen line, and I could literally smell the oil before. Can't smell anything now. 😊

View attachment 92487View attachment 92488

Ooh, I'll have to give that a go! I suspect it has some amount of trisodium phosphate in it.

Yes they're my favourite, especially the glass cleaner it's amazing. I put mine in a plant watering bottle diluted (I buy the concentrated one) and use a squeegee to clean my windows. Done in a flash. Got the bathroom cleaners too and the hob cleaner for my induction hob.
Bathroom mould spray, pvc cleaner and another kitchen one is what we keep in.

Yes I have the mould spray too, forgot that one. It rescued my youngest's son's bedroom window frames after he neglected it. Also I have no extraction in my bathroom and we tend to get mould on the coving, but not anymore.

Latest posts

Back