First BIAB underway - * NOW WITH ADDED PICS *

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyh

Regular.
Reaction score
Well my first biab is underway and currently it's mashing at 66C.

Kinda thumb twiddling :)

ok, here are some pics from my brew...

getting-ready.jpg

Getting ready to start, bottles of Asda mineral water with strike water being heated in pot. Saucepan contains bag being boiled to sterilise.

grain.jpg

Here's my grain, Maris Otter, Crystal 82, and Black Roast

mash.jpg

With strike temperature reached, and grain added and stirred, into an oven to keep it at 66C through the hour mash - stirring every 15 mins

rolling.jpg

Bag removed and sparged in a spare FV filled with the sparge water at approx 70C for about 15 mins, then onto the boil

first-hops.jpg

As the boil is achieved, in go the first hops, Fuggles

ekg.jpg

With 30 mins to go the first EKG go in - second half went in with 15 to go... and this is when I forgot the Irish Moss. :oops:

yeast.jpg

Resulting wort strained and aerated into the FV, and yeast pitched at 21/22 C

bubble.jpg

A few hours later and it's off and running!

Recipe as follows:

Original Gravity (OG): 1.043 (°P): 10.7
Final Gravity (FG): 1.011 (°P): 2.8
Alcohol (ABV): 4.22 %
Colour (SRM): 24.9 (EBC): 49.1
Bitterness (IBU): 22.6 (Average)

84% Maris Otter Malt (2.45kg)
12% Crystal 82
4% Black Malt

1.3 g/L Fuggles (5.7% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
0.6 g/L East Kent Golding (4.7% Alpha) split in two @ 15 and 30 Minutes (Boil)

0.4 g/L Irish Moss @ 15 Minutes (Boil) - Forgot this bit :oops:

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 20°C with Safeale S-04

Notes:
Brewed on Friday 1st Feb 2013
Ended up with approx 14.75 litres at 1.0425 SG

Yep, everything is cleaned and sterilised, weighed out and waiting :)

Me thinks I may be a little bit too prepared.. famous last words! :D

I'm doing a 15ltr brew of roughly the following

2.5kg Maris Otter crushed
.36kg Crystal 82 crushed
.120 Black crushed

then 60 mins boil with 20gms fuggles at the start and 11 gms EKG at the 30 min mark.

mashing in 9 litres, sparging with 11 litres, looking to start boil with 17.4lts and finish with approx 15 :pray:

So... please shout now if I am totally screwing this up :shock: :grin:

well it's coming to the boil now, and all looking good. about 17ltrs in the pot and 2 to 3 in a jug as top up.

using the temp correction, the pre-boil SG looks to be 1040, my target to the recipe was 1041, so I'll take that and say a little thank you to the god of beer! :pray: :party:

hops standing by, not going to use a hop bag, just going to lob them in and then run it through a sieve once cooled... so far, so good...

Hehe half way through the boil, and the wife and kids are home... Apparently you can smell it down the bottom of the estate :)

Daughter has taken to walking round with a lavender bag strapped to her nose! :D

Strengthens my case for an electric job in the garage ;)

End of boil gravity appears to be 1046 using the temp correction, looking good :)

Slight error in that I forgot to add the Irish moss... Is there a way around this??

Well that was an experience, but I got my target gravity and the colour looks bang on - I ended up with 14.75 litres, so just shy of the 15, so again have to be pretty pleased.

Just hope to see fermentation get underway over the next 24 hours, and then fingers crossed that it is drinkable come April :)

cheers, and thanks to all who give their advice, it really is a great source of information.

Brew now has the first signs of fermentation happening, so loose lid on and time to forget all about if for a fortnight or so...

Gonna be a long couple of weeks :)

added a few pics I took to the start of the thread, forgot to take one of the sparge, but must work out a method for hanging the bag rather than standing there holding it forever and a day :D

Looks like you had a very successful day, well done :thumb:

I remember when I done my first AG, I kept checking it & tasting it far too early. It brought vague memories of my first kit :lol:

must work out a method for hanging the bag rather than standing there holding it forever and a day

:)

Some people rig up a hook, I just dump the bag into a plastic container with a wire rack at the bottom. It's pretty well drained by the time the wort comes to a boil :thumb:

Just to update, still a good 5 weeks before this gets drunk, or I do, as it is a beer for my birthday at the start of April.

But, I kept a sample back in a pet bottle, and I cracked it open tonight...

It's very dark, hold it to the light and a real dark ruby. caramel on the nose, sweet then bitter on the tongue.

Quite frankly I am go smacked how good it is, and how much better than the kits I brewed, yep even the Wherry.

BIAB all grain, I am am convert to the dark side!

Cheers all
20130223-211548.jpg

:cheers:

LOLs, I like that motto "The dark side of the dark side". Well done, shame is you'll soon not be able to drink all the kit beer you've bottled, such is the nature of the dark side. T

Latest posts

Back