First big batch of extract, TC IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hcoyle545

Reaction score
Hi folks, this is my first 4 gallon batch of beer with my new starter pack that arrived today. I just got finished pitching the yeast and thought I should make a writeup to document the brew's progress, as well as any mistakes i've made. PLUS I can gather advice from all you good people on what I can do to improve in future. p.s I should mention that since I love a really hoppy beer I'm boiling with cascade hops + dry hopping at the end with simcoe and amarillo.

Here's some notes I jotted down during the brewing

-Washed and santised all equipment to be used; includes fermenter, plastic spoon, wooden spoon, tin opener, yeast sachet, airlock, spigot etc.

-Added 3 litres of water to boiling pan, once boiled added the 500g packet of Light malt extract. Then added a teabag of cascade hops to boil for 15mins. Mistake #1: Didn't read the packaging properly and threw right into boil pan instead of boiling in hot water for 10minutes first as advised so there was no smell of hops that I could notice.

-Next I brought off the boil and added the can of Coopers IPA Hopped malt extract, plus 300g of Dextrose as the instructions call for. I was going to go for more dextrose like I've seen craigtube do on youtube, but heard it thins a beer out so vetoed that idea.

-Into the fermenter with the mixture, and I stirred vigorously while adding boiling water to the 20litre mark (I decided to do this 3 litres short since I enjoy stronger beer and am also afraid of it being thin)

-With the addition of the cold water the temperature came down to 24 degrees celcius so I pitched the yeast, snapped the lid back on the fermenter and popped the airlock in.

So now we wait, it's sitting beside my Mr Beer which has had a steady temp of 20-22 degrees the past 3 days so I think we should be good to go to dry hop in about 7-10 days?

Plan is to add equal parts simcoe/amarillo at 30-50g each for the last 3 days before bottling. This is where I hope you good people can advise me, and please if I've missed anything or could have done anything better then let me know so I can adapt my strategy for future batches.

Thanks for reading folks, I'll keep this thread updated.

(By the way I forgot to take an OG reading and went ahead and pitched the yeast and snapped the lid on.. Then was afraid of oxegenating the wort so I didn't take one, is this a problem or can I just make assumptions about fermentation being done based on the FG reading in 7-10 days time?)

-

Don't worry too much about the OG. You will still be able to tell when fermentation is complete when you have a steady FG reading offer a few days. You just won't be able to calculate your final ABV (no drama really). You've got the right idea with dry hopping. Wait for the initial fermentation to die down then add you're hops. The Co2 produced during fermentation drives off the aroma oils in the hops. Be careful with your amounts though. 50g of each is quite a lot. Seeing as it's you're first time maybe try 50-60g total, unless you're a real hop head (which I am!) :thumb:

Latest posts

Back