First brew: apple cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucretia

Reaction score
Hi, I generally drink Strongbow with the occasional Kopparberg or Rekoderlig, can't really handle too much of the strong (the deep coloured) stuff so would be looking to brew something of similar flavour to Strongbow.

Do you have any pointers/tips of what do/not do and what to avoid for the total newbie?

Thanks,
Luke

I apologise for being faceatious in advance, but use apples, and stop drinking strongbow, trust me, that once you've tried stuff that doesn't taste of chemicals, and has at least some resemblance to the apples it's actually made of, then you'll never go back.

if you're using apples, then you need to have the correct blend of to give you the right quantities of bitter sharps, sweets, sugars, tannins, etc, and this in itself is an art form, but you can get rather nice single variety cider, for instance 'Katy' apples are good for this.

otherwise follow one of the Turbo Cider recipes, use apple juice from the supermarket, make sure equipment is thoroughly steralised before hand, keep the exposure to air/oxygen as little as possible once fermentation is underway, don't be put off if it doesn't smell right to start with, have lots of patience, keep asking questions on here if you're stuck, and most of all enjoy your brewing experience!

I used to drink strongbow but can't face it now it' really sweet and feels like it burns my tongue lol and as for that kopperburg stuff I really don't like that anymore urgh sooooooooo sweet and leaves a horrid feel in mouth :sick:

if you do a tc from just juice and no added sugar your cider will be about 6% if you add more sugar it will go dry and you wont really like it if you like the sweet ones

I am not sure how you get it less % but at a guess you would prob add water so sugar content drops more, I did a 6.5% rasberry and cranberry and it is 2 sweet for me so I will up the sugar next time all my other cider is stronger (we like dry cider)

some of the pro's may be able to help you but I would just play about and see what suits you

do you have hydrometer so you can see how strong your making your brew?

Thanks, I like dry (stopped drinking stuff like Woodpecker years ago due to it killing my throat).

I don't have the equipment for making stuff from apples yet, so will go the TC route. I've managed to get some demijohns for free and some airlocks (picking them up tonight so don't know the quality yet), they've been in someone's cellar so will need cleaning.

Which is the best recipe for a dry TC to start with? I may try a couple at a time. I'm thinking the following:

1) Apple
2) Blueberry
3) Mango

What's the best juice to buy?

I have a cellar here but it is 1) dirty and 2) damp, I can clean it up but will the demijohn's be ok in a damp environment? Otherwise it's the kitchen.

Does the room have to be warm? I would assume so for the yeast to work.

Thanks again,
Luke.

P.S: I loves the 'bow :whistle:

just try a plain apple one 1st then play with flavours

well thats what I did :) :cheers:

yes it does need 2 be warm about 20c for fementing process :)

Back