First Brew Day

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Herb

Reaction score
So I was going to do this tomorrow, but now our plans have changed so it'll have to be tonight - probably not the best idea, but it'll have to do!

My first ever home brew beer is a raw ingredient kit from Brew Craft Beer. Probably paid over the top, but it seemed a good idea at the time.

It is a very small batch of Porter - only does 8 bottles, but thought as an introduction to brewing it might be a good place to start.

I'm trying to follow their instructions to the letter.

Having warmed up some water to 71°C I have put the grains in to mash.

First (of probably many) daft question - do you leave your thermometer in the mash the whole time whilst trying to keep it between 62 and 67°C - or do you take it out every time?

20160130_172431.jpg

Snap mate, I'm doing my first AG brew today as well. It's just cooling now. Cost me next to nothing really; £1.60 for a kilo of grain, £3.50 for 100g of hops (of which I've used 20g) and a quid or so for a sachet of yeast. We'll see how it turns out.

That's what I decided in the end.

Keeping things very simple, 12l stock pot for brewing in, and it will go into a demijohn to ferment.

Should have picked up a muslin bag really, might have made it a bit easier.

Well done.

I try not to worry about "costs" because my Mum always told me ...

"Some people know the cost of everything and the value of nothing; don't be one of them!"

I hope the beer turns out just fine but if it doesn't then just try again and look on the bright side ...

... it has to get better!! :thumb: :thumb:

I hope you have a fantastic brew, I totally agree with you I would think about what you want to brew next because this one won't last long when it's ready. I am doing another tomorrow trying to build up a stash to mature, my stout has all gone it was too nice to leave alone and have managed to keg a wheat and bottle another batch this brewing lark is great, all the best, wyne

So it's just coming up to boil now.

One slight hiccup, my Sieve is a bit on the small side for all the grain, so a few pieces fell into the wort. I think I've read elsewhere that's not really a problem?

It'll get strained out after the boil anyway.

Shame they don't tell you what your actually using. Hop A and Hop B not particularly helpful!

20160130_184654.jpg

Herb, Notlaw, good luck with your first brews, let us know how they turn out, don't forget to take that SG reading so you can work out how strong your brew is.

Herb, Notlaw, good luck with your first brews, let us know how they turn out, don't forget to take that SG reading so you can work out how strong your brew is.

It's in the sink cooling now.

It has reduced A LOT in the pan, think I might need to top it up. When I move it over.

I topped mine up a bit too. Took an SG reading and it was 1.070, so diluted it a bit to get it down to 1.062 (target was 1.060) so it should end up at about 6.3% abv.

My OG reading seems very low at 1.033.

I've followed the instructions to the letter so I'm a bit confused by it.

Not sure what I can do?

Edit: read it again, I must have misread it first time, it's 1.040, still lower than I expected! Although they don't actually provide target readings.

I've pitched the yeast and put it in the cupboard where it will be fermenting. According to my notes I started at 4.55 and Finished at 9pm.

Sure I can get it down to a bit less than that.

Nice one Herb, pitched the yeast, good on you. You know you're doomed now, you'll know no peace just the quest for that next brew that's going to be better than all the other ones.

Nice one Herb, pitched the yeast, good on you. You know you're doomed now, you'll know no peace just the quest for that next brew that's going to be better than all the other ones.

I enjoyed it, and the smell of the grains and the hops is amazing.

It's a good job the home brew shop is closed on a Sunday.....

Latest posts

Back