First brew kit?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bashley

Reaction score
Hi All

I'm a homebrew virgin but would love to get into brewing my own. There's such a wealth of info on the subject
but it's has baffled me a little.
I'd like to know, what would be a decent first kit to buy? I have no knowledge or equipment
I'd like to brew primarily IPA but occasionally ales similar to the badger beers. I'd be really into try different blends of hops etc.
I guess seeing as I like a nice chilled IPA, bottles would be best?
Is it ok to use existing beer bottles provided they're sterilised?
I know, you guys must be tired of hearing these types of questions from debutants!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forum
I suggest you read this first. Amongst other things it suggests a basic shopping list for equipment.
Basic beginners guide to brewing your own beer from a kit - The HomeBrew Forum
There are two sorts of IPA . A 'traditional' English type, and an American IPA which usually comes with a citrusy taste.
If its the latter you like Youngs American IPA is a good kit and has everything you need in the box. It will need about 3/4 weeks in the fermenting vessel (FV), two weeks to carbonate and at least another two weeks to condition or mature before you get to drink it. Other kits dont take much less before you can drink them in spite of what the manufacturers will tell you.
You will find the review in here along with many others
Beer Kit Review A - Z

Personally I have found the Coopers lager kit very good to start off with :
s-l1600.jpg

It has all the things you will need to begin with and then you can add better kit different kits ( I prefer the Coopers fermenting vessel from the others because you don't need to fanny around with an airlock). Using Ebay I found these for £25-35 delivered, don't pay much more.... Personally I like the 500ml to 660ml bottles for brewing. Once you have started some kits, you can pimp them with different sugars, yeasts, dry hops etc...

Read through the forum and especially the guides, lots of info from these good people - I actually began by watching Youtube videos doing kits, then looked on here.

Thanks guys. I'm a little confused as in some youtube vids I see people simmering their hops, barley etc in large stainless steel pans. How come that's not on the starter list of equipment to buy? Like I said, I'm green to this! :)

Personally I have found the Coopers lager kit very good to start off with :
s-l1600.jpg

It has all the things you will need to begin with and then you can add better kit different kits ( I prefer the Coopers fermenting vessel from the others because you don't need to fanny around with an airlock). Using Ebay I found these for £25-35 delivered, don't pay much more.... Personally I like the 500ml to 660ml bottles for brewing. Once you have started some kits, you can pimp them with different sugars, yeasts, dry hops etc...

Read through the forum and especially the guides, lots of info from these good people - I actually began by watching Youtube videos doing kits, then looked on here.
I can wholeheartedly recommend these kits as that is what I purchased when I started out brewing. As others have said you do need to leave the beer in the fermenter for at least 2 weeks, preferably 3 and ignore the manufacturers instructions.

The big box pictured contains a beer kit...canned malt extract. The people you see boiling stuff in big pots are either doing all grain or extract/part extract brewing which is a bit more complex and uses more or all raw ingredients and involves more processes.
Starting with a kit is fine as it gives you chance to refine the basics such as cleaning,sanitising,fermenting and bottling. When you can do this blind folded standing on your head you may proceed....

Do a google search for "Coopers DIY Beer Craft Brew Kit Instructional Video" and watch the first video. All will become clear...

OK, thanks! Becoming clearer all the time - unlike my first batch no doubt!

+1 on what @Clint said
Beer kits usually come as a single can or a large sachet of hopped liquid malt extract (Coopers, John Bull etc) with a packet of yeast that will require additional malt extract or sugar or a Brew Enhancer to make it up to 20+ litres , or premium kits which usually have everything you need in a box including malt extract, yeast and possibly hops.
Premium kits cost more than one cans but by the time you have added in the other stuff there's may not be much in it. Premium kits usually deliver a better product than one cans, but many on here add extras to a one can including all sorts of malts and hops to improve the finished product considerably.

Hi!
Nothing against this kit, but I would start on bottles and move on to other things if you catch the bug.
I would have normally agreed with you but it comes with a Youngs American kit (you can substitute the AIPA if you wish), a budget PB with CO2 injection, an FV and other bits and bobs all for £60. If bought separately that would be about £80-85. So its worth a punt irrespective that the PB safe pressure is really below the carbing required for this style of beer, and you need to spend an extra £5 on summat to get free delivery.

Hi!
Is it ok to use existing beer bottles provided they're sterilised?

Yes, they are quite suitable.

Which one of these starter kits would be sufficient?

I like the look of the Basic Plus kit. There are several posts on this forum suggesting that two-handled bottle cappers have been known to shatter some commercial bottles.

I'd say the basic plus is the minimum as the hydrometer and thermometer are essential bits of kits if you want to get it right. I'd be tempted by the deluxe though. The second bucket isn't essential but the bottling wand will make bottling cleaner and easier.

Last edited:
I'd be tempted by the deluxe though. The second bucket isn't essential but the bottling wand will make bottling a cleaner and easier.
Hi!
I totally agree - I just wondered whether the extra €20 was worth it for what you get.
However, since the OP is in the South of France, maybe it is (what with postage etc. to buy the bucket and wand seperately).
I'll get me coat.

Welcome to the Forum - and what will hopefully become a pleasurable obsession.:gulp:

PS
I would look at the Starter Kits and then go and buy the things individually. I would definitely give the Hand Capper a miss and go for a Bench Capper every time.

Also, living in France I would immediately start drinking Fischers beer in the 650ml bottles with flip-tops. With steady drinking you could collect enough so that they could be used for your second brew. At €1.48 a bottle (full of decent beer) they are a bargain! Also, because the original caps aren't easy to sanitise, spare flip-tops and seal are readily available in Le Clercs.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back