First Brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gkinrade

Reaction score
I started my first brew on Saturday (Woodfordes Wherry) - took an OG of 1038/1040. Just done a test now (almost exactly 4 days later) and got a gravity of 1010/1012 giving me about 3.8% (which was what I was expecting in all honesty). :cheers:

Just a quick question - assuming that the gravity reading stays constant over the next couple of days would I be ok to bottle / barrel it on say Sunday or would people suggest I left it a bit longer to clear some more?

Cheers

George

Wherry can be a blighter to clear, so for that reason I'd give ten days in the FV and give everything a chance to drop to the bottom of the bucket.

Welcome to the forum George :cheers:

I haven't made this kit so I would take the advice above.

However generally speaking if it is giving you that reading then it is done fermenting and so safe to bottle

You have done very well to get it down to 1010/1012 after 4 days, mine took about 8 - 9 days to reach the FG.
When you get the same Hydro reading for 3 consecutive days its ok to bottle.
As a general rule, i leave my beer's in the FV for 10 - 14 days, then move to a secondry FV for a further 7 days, then bottle or keg it.
As for drinking, from experience i would leave it for about 6 - 10 weeks before you sample a bottle, even then it might not be perfectly clear.
For a kit beer it’s a reasonable drink, but i honestly dont think ill be making another one of these.
As, compared to AG it's just a middle of the road beer.
I recently made a Youngs definative bitter and dry hopped it with Cascade and it was more enjoyable than the Wherry and about £12 cheaper.

Latest posts

Back