First cider brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

traffic76

Reaction score
Hi folks, I'm hoping here is the place I can get some answers to a few questions I have about my first cider making experiment. I've just pressed 5 gallons of fresh apple juice into one drum but I'm uncertain of exactly how many Camden tablets I should throw in. I've read somewhere that you put in 1 tablet per gallon but are 5 tablets too many?

Also after this is solved I'm just wondering how much yeast I should put in. Again I've read somewhere about 1 teaspoon but gallon but I've also read one sachet per 5 gallon... big difference! Could anybody here help me before I ruin the lot. Thanks in advance, Nigel

I'm no expert but 5 campden sounds right. There is no difference between 1 campden per gallon, Or 5 per 5 gallon, same ratio :D

It depends on which yeast your using so I would advise reading the packet :D My youngs wine yeast states "1 teaspoon per gallon" however a sachet of youngs cider yeast states "suitable for up to 5 gallons" what yeast are you using? :)

Hope this helps :D

However like I said I’m no expert so I would wait for confirmation from a more experienced home brewer than myself :)

Hey Nigel.

First of all just thought i should say that i have done multiple turbo ciders and cider kits but have not had enough equipment or money to be able to make pure cider from pressing apples.

Camden tablets are used to kill bacteria so yeast can grow, you use that to make sure that all your equipment is sterilized. you can use them towards the end of the fermentation to stop fermentation if you are in a rush to bottle.

A sachet of yeast usually = 5g.
a teaspoon = 5g.

Not too different but i reccomend getting yeast from special homebrewing shops. i use "high alcohol yeast" to make sure that my cider's can get to their maximum strength!

There are many tutorial video's on youtube about this and also there are recipies in the Wine and cider part of the forum. if you need anymore help just say and i'll try and help :)

Cheers

Andy

5 CT's sounds correct if you follow the rule of thumb, as for the yeast I would say 2 maybe 3 heaped T spoons, I am talking about youngs super wine yeast as my example here, yeast multiplies so I wouldn't add 5 Tsp, sounds a bit overkill.

Hey guys, thanks for all the helpful answers. OK, so I think we have solved the Campden tablet problem - I'll drop in 5 tablets.

In regards to the yeast I'm using Youngs Cider Yeast and yes it states "suitable for up to 5 gallons" on the pack, that just seemed very little to me but as this is my first time, I'm not what you would an expert :)

Do ye think two packs of this would be enough?
Thanks again Nigel

traffic76 said:
In regards to the yeast I'm using Youngs Cider Yeast and yes it states "suitable for up to 5 gallons" on the pack, that just seemed very little to me but as this is my first time, I'm not what you would an expert :)

Do ye think two packs of this would be enough?
Thanks again Nigel

I would follow the advice on the packet, the yeast will multiply. However If you are concerned to my knowledge you won’t damage your brew by adding a bit more from the second packet but like I said follow the advice on the packet :D Make sure you leave 24-48 hours after you have added the crushed Campden tablets before you add the yeast to the brew; otherwise your yeast will die along with the wild yeast. :D

As you are talking real cider made from real apples and not kits or TC, the approach is totally different.
You need to protect the raw juice from oxygen, so 3 CT's per gallon is the level of SO2 you want!
Total 15 CT's for 5 galls (pre ferment).
The best time to add Sulphur Dioxide is pre scratting, by lightly spraying with a 1% Sodium metabisulphite solution (careful not to over do).
If you use the spray option, you don't need CTs.
Because your juice contains pectin you will also need 1 teaspoon of "pectolas" per gallon.
1 packet of dried yeast per 5 galls, 2 wouldn't hurt.
Hope all goes well. :thumb:

Peapodmaster said:
First of all just thought i should say that i have done multiple turbo ciders and cider kits but have not had enough equipment or money to be able to make pure cider from pressing apples.
Andy
Hi Andy (& anyone else thinking the same)
I was lucky to find our local cider farm/museum hire out their equipment :thumb: well actualy, you take your apples there & use it on site, it would be far too big to transport! Only costs £10 per hour & I'm sure I'll get all mine done in that time.
They have a big scratter & 2 presses. I'll be using the small press apparently as I only have 100Kg of apples! :shock:
Oh, the apples cost me nothing. ;)

muddy90 said:
I was lucky to find our local cider farm/museum hire out their equipment :thumb:
well actually, you take your apples there & use it on site
That sounds useful, could you post their location?

Hey guys, could anybody recommend what is the proper temperature for me to have the brew at during primary fermentation so the yeast (Youngs Cider Yeast) will work correctly? Ta, Nigel

evanvine said:
As you are talking real cider made from real apples and not kits or TC, the approach is totally different.
You need to protect the raw juice from oxygen, so 3 CT's per gallon is the level of SO2 you want!
Total 15 CT's for 5 galls (pre ferment).
The best time to add Sulphur Dioxide is pre scratting, by lightly spraying with a 1% Sodium metabisulphite solution (careful not to over do).
If you use the spray option, you don't need CTs.
Because your juice contains pectin you will also need 1 teaspoon of "pectolas" per gallon.
1 packet of dried yeast per 5 galls, 2 wouldn't hurt.
Hope all goes well. :thumb:

I've made cider from apples for several years now, and I've never used that many CT's (I've used one per gallon, or none at all!), and I've never added pectolas either. the juice has been protected from oxygen by getting it into an FV as soon as possible, and keeping air out with a lid (or cotton wool, or a bung, and I use a barrel rather than a bucket, to decrease the size of the hole for any possible air intake). all of my cider has been clear and tasty.

Latest posts

Back