First Full Size BIAB

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After a couple of smaller stove top BIAB batches which went well I took the plunge and got a GEB BIAB pack which included their Hoppy APA mash kit.

6kg grain bill

Prep done and water (21L )given a Campden tablet, off I went.

Pretty impressed with the Peco boiler getting the water up to 75 degrees in about 40 mins.

Mashed in and hit 65 degrees for 60 minutes. The Peco held it there without needing to switch it on due to my improvised insulation device 😀. Left me with approx 18L in the boiler

Dunk sparged in 11L for 15 minutes at 65 degrees whilst boiler taking the wort up towards the boil then topped up to my pre book volume of 28L.

Hit boil but not as strong as on the stovetop. First addition (40g of Aurora) at the boil. Noticed after 30 mins I wasn't getting the evaporation I expected and began considering a 90 minute boil - which is what I ended up doing. Late additions at 10 mins and flameout of 14g each Chinook and Centennial before into the garage for an overnight no chill.

I was still left with 24.5L so note to self for next time around - Peco boiler means less evaporation so need to reduce my pre book volume considerably. Fortunately grain absorption was pretty much spot on at 6L so at least that worked !!

Having done a couple of kits - Young's AIPA and Evil Dog - as well as 2 5L stove top BIABs I think I've got it all right. Next time out I'll use the wort chiller but didn't have the right connection for today. I just hope no nasties get in there overnight !!!

IMG_20200720_093802.jpg

Good write up.
I also use the Peco boiler and a similar insulation device. It’s good to read about other people’s brew days on the same kit. Glad your brew day went well, let us know how the beer turns out. 🍺🍺

Good write up.
I also use the Peco boiler and a similar insulation device. It’s good to read about other people’s brew days on the same kit. Glad your brew day went well, let us know how the beer turns out. 🍺🍺
Cheers, Moe. Will do! Just hope that I'm not disappointed when I come to take a gravity reading before pitching 🥺

I’m sure it will be fine. And even if it’s a little lower than expected, with a 6kg grain bill in 24L it will still be plenty strong enough. 🤪🍺

Turned out fine on the gravity reading and at end of fermentation worked out to 6.2%. Had a first bottle at the weekend and it carbed nicely at room temp - can tell it isn't conditioned but still tastes fantastic.

Trying my hardest now to leave it for a couple of weeks to get even better but Friday's approaching !!!

Latest posts

Back