First go at a NEIPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregH

Reaction score
Hello all,

This will be my first recipe post and also my first go at a NEIPA so please critique as necessary. This will be a 23 litre bottle batch of beer using a full volume BIAB. The recipe itself is from beercraftr.com which I have adjusted for the batch size and method.

Water Profile: (Current, Target,) (I'm quite new to water adjustments so please see my post in the more advanced water treatment sub-forum)

Ca - 100, 183
Mg - 4, 9
Na - 7, 7
Cl - 16, 140
SO4 - 15, 69
Alkalinity to zero using CRS @ 54ml

Grain Bill

4.76kg Marris Otter
530g Flaked Oats
330g Cara-Pils

Hops

Using Citra, Dorado and Mosaic for each addition including dry hop.

4.5g @ after mash but before the boil
8g @ 20 minutes after boil during cooling
13g @ 30 minutes after the boil
5.5g @ 40 minutes after the boil

Dry Hop

20g for 8 days (assuming a 14 day fermentation period so dry hoping after 6 days)
20g for 4 days (assuming a 14 day fermentation period so dry hoping after 10 days)

Yeast will be London Ale II (Wyeast 1318) and am aiming for a 7.0% abv.

What are you thoughts?

Thank you for any advice in advance.

For an NEIPA I’d maybe leave your FWH addition in (but reduce it significantly)and move all your other hop additions to flame out. It’s also nowhere near enough hops for a NEIPA.

For biotransformation you want to add your first dry hop when fermentation is still quite active.

It isn't anything like what I do, but I love to see what other people do!

Pretty much 150-200ppm chloride for mouthfeel and sweetness. Sulphate leave it as it comes out of the tap unless it is under 80ppm. rA yes 0-10ppm. Depending on hops 6-10g/L split across flame out and whirlpool additions with variations on stand temperature and time. Aim is certainly under 40, usually 30ish theoretical IBU's but depends very much on how you calculate it. Dry hops 8-12g/L, usually towards the end of fermentation, neither too early or too late. Biotransformation is a bit of a meme. Dry hop selection and amount depends on type and influences boil hop (bitterness) decisions.

I tend to play around with malts these days, malts and yeast. Also methods to dry hop at different temperatures, at different points in the process, like off the yeast.

So tackling the water profile first if I may with some further tinkering - now with additions which I forgot to write down. To be clear the first figures below are my actual water profile so the sulfate will need bringing up but I am concerned about the calcium level.

Ca - 100, 191
Mg - 4, 12
Na - 7, 7
Cl - 16, 154
SO4 - 15, 80

+2g Gypsum, +10 Calcium chloride and + 2 Epsom salts.

Onto the hops...so using your ratios stz and and the recommended changes to when (assuming 31 litres pre-boil volume and 25 in the fermenter)...and was planning to use pellets.

Flame out and whirlpool additions: 186-310g?
Dryhop starting during active fermentation: 184-276g?

I am not sure what is the point the stepped hopping at cooling.

I would go for a lot more hops at dry hopping. 10g each for the first addition after 2 days. Then 100-150g each for second dry hop

Flame out and whirlpool additions: 186-310g?
Dryhop starting during active fermentation: 184-276g?

Sounds about right for a NEIPA to me, but like Leon says, I'm not sure its necessary to have several whirlpool additions at different times/temps

Either the recipe I have adjusted from is off or my adjustments are wrong, let me see if I can get these hop additions to a better place.

Remove FWH.
Flame Out: 15g of each
Whirlpool for 20 mins: 50g of each
Dryhop 1 @ 2 days: 10g of each
Dryhop 2 @ 7 days:100-150g of each

Total hop bill is 175-225g of each hop - I can see why NEIPA craft can be expensive!

As it seems my original recipe was so far off I am of the mind to try and ID a more tried and tested recipe.

Thanks for advice - vma.

I think I have enough to go on now but I'll cut back on my batch to limit wastage if things do not go well. I am mindful that I am bottling and not kegging.

Back