First go at making wine. Help required.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig3030

Reaction score
Hi,

New to the forum and to the world of home brew. I have got a couple of novice questions. I hope you can help, and thank you for your time.

Background: I purchased a one week wine kit on Monday. The wine has been fermenting since Tuesday.

1. How do I know when fermentation has stoped?
2. Can I open the bucket to take a reading during fermentation? Will this not harm the process?

I probably will have a few more stupid questions soon, so thank in advance for the help/ patience.

Regards
Craig

Hi and Welcome!

Easy:
1. Activity will slow down to the point there's only one bubble going through the trap per minute. Frmentation as such could go on for a long time very slowly but we don't want this and therefore use stabiliser and campden tabs to kills off any remaining yeast.
2. You shouldn't have to measure the gravity during fermentation unless you are doing somethng special. Anytime you open the vessel it could introduce things we don't want and spoil your brew. Generally rule of thumb if your fermentation stops within the expected time period you will have the approx. FG.

Hope this helps?
Good Luck!

Thanks Klaus, appreciate your advice.

I think it is time for me to to rack of the wine then. Here goes!

Latest posts

Back