First lager - no gas seems to be being made?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingmustard

Reaction score
We are brewing our first lager.

We are trying the Geordie Lager 40pt: http://www.the-online-homebrew-company.co.uk/home-brew/homebrew-wine-making/316/geordie-lager-40pt/

We followed the instructions and set the bin/lid (with an airlock - photo attached below) in a room that is between 19-23C.

My dad mentioned that when he tried a homebrewing wine a long while ago, the airlock bubbled every few seconds.

Are we meant to be seeing the water in the airlock bubble sometimes with this lager kit?

We tried putting a sealed sandwich bag over the top of the airlock and tied it using an elastic band so that no air could escape but after 24 hours, there was still no air in the bag. Is this right?

9strhe.jpg

Your beer should produce c02 while its fermenting. The airlock bubbles as a result, have you got any leaks around the lid or airlock? Your bucket looks pretty full is the airlock inside the bucket actually in the liquid?

you can see signs of fermentation on the inside.

looking at the lid - whats the blue thing the airlock is sitting in? looks like blu-tack.

wendy1971 said:
Your beer should produce c02 while its fermenting. The airlock bubbles as a result, have you got any leaks around the lid or airlock? Your bucket looks pretty full is the airlock inside the bucket actually in the liquid?
There are no leaks. The bucket is as full as the instructions told us to go. The airlock isn't in the liquid.

Any ideas? :(

john_d said:
you can see signs of fermentation on the inside.

looking at the lid - whats the blue thing the airlock is sitting in? looks like blu-tack.
The Blu-Tack is being used as a seal. The hole the airlock is going into is pretty tight but we wanted to be 100% sure.

kingmustard said:
The Blu-Tack is being used as a seal. The hole the airlock is going into is pretty tight but we wanted to be 100% sure.

does the airlock go into a a rubber seal or just straight into the blu-tack, i'd say its not air-tight.

john_d said:
kingmustard said:

does the airlock go into a a rubber seal or just straight into the blu-tack, i'd say its not air-tight.
There is no rubber seal but if we tightly push the lid, the airlock liquid moves. The water is always lower on the lager side.

kingmustard said:
There is no rubber seal but if we tightly push the lid, the airlock liquid moves. The water is always lower on the lager side.

mmm, my airlock doesn't bubble so i would'nt worry about that part of it, how long ago did you start the brew?

john_d said:
kingmustard said:

mmm, my airlock doesn't bubble so i would'nt worry about that part of it, how long ago did you start the brew?
Around 48 hours ago.

As john_d said, you can see the ring of yeast above the line where your beer is so your beer has definitely been fermenting. Do you have a hydrometer? If you do then take a reading and you will see that your gravity has dropped.

As for where the CO2 has gone - its getting out somewhere so it must be the escaping through the lid or the rubber seal. When you push the lid down you are temporarily increasing the pressure in the fermenter so you will see it also affect your airlock.

Dunfie said:
As john_d said, you can see the ring of yeast above the line where your beer is so your beer has definitely been fermenting. Do you have a hydrometer? If you do then take a reading and you will see that your gravity has dropped.

As for where the CO2 has gone - its getting out somewhere so it must be the escaping through the lid or the rubber seal. When you push the lid down you are temporarily increasing the pressure in the fermenter so you will see it also affect your airlock.
We do have a hydrometer.

Should we be taking the lid off to take readings?

I thought we shouldn't be opening the lid until it's done?

kingmustard said:

im guessing you dont have a tap in the bottom?

if you dont then you will need to take the lid off.

john_d said:
kingmustard said:

im guessing you dont have a tap in the bottom?

if you dont then you will need to take the lid off.
Unfortunately not. Only our barrel has a tap.

Will taking the lid off affect the lager?

kingmustard said:
Will taking the lid off affect the lager?

just be careful dont to disturb it too much and watch you dont drop anything in it and you should be fine.

How do you know its done if you don't take a reading?

You would normally wait until you get a steady reading for three days before you move to bottle/keg.

i have exactly the same bucket and i am also doing a lager. mine wasnt bubbling after 2 full days in the bucket, i double checked my lid and there was a tiny little bit that wasnt snapped entirely shut, once i did that it immediately started bubbling away nicely.

therefore i would go and double check that your lid is snapped on securely as i only fixed mine yesterday evening.

afur130173 said:
i have exactly the same bucket and i am also doing a lager. mine wasnt bubbling after 2 full days in the bucket, i double checked my lid and there was a tiny little bit that wasnt snapped entirely shut, once i did that it immediately started bubbling away nicely.

therefore i would go and double check that your lid is snapped on securely as i only fixed mine yesterday evening.
It bubbles more now that we're using a biro pen nib to completely seal the Blu-Tack :D

you can get little rubber gromits that fit in the hole, into which your airlock will go.

mine creates a good seal.

john_d said:
kingmustard said:

I don't bother with an airlock - I just fix the lid tightly all around except for a couple of inches where I don't press it home. This is enough for CO2 to escape and still safe from any contamination. Also, an airloch is just another annoying thing sticking out waiting to be knocked about or broken.....

Back