First one back into it - Black IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After a wee break in home brewing, I'm back at it!

I got a voucher for Craft Beer Kitchen for my birthday, so brewed a Red IPA, which is really quite tasty & got me thinking about brewing again!

http://www.stewartbrewing.co.uk/craft-beer-kitchen/

View attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422911315.477973.jpg

I sorted through my bottles and gave a few hundred away (still got plenty for my own purposes!)

I had a Betterbrew IPA kit, a kilo of dark spray malt & 250g of Carafa special malt, so I bought some fresh hops, Cacase & Columbus from my LHBS, www.Brewstore.co.uk

The kit was past it's BBE date, as was the spray malt, but I figured if the yeast came to life, it would all be OK.

I steeped the Carafa in cold water for a few hours, then strained it into a pan, brought it to the boil and then added 35g of Cascade and 25g of Columbus. I boiled for a few minutes, as I really just wanted to add a bit of flavour & aroma. I left it steeping for about 15 mins after flameout, while I got the rest of the gear ready.

Mixed the kit and spray malt up, then added the black water and squeezed the hop sack in too.

The yeast was rehydrated in 800ml of 25 degrees water & it stated bubbling, so I lobbed it in the FV at 1042.

Temp was just under 25, so I was concerned when nothing appeared to be happening on Sunday morning (15 hours after pitching), but by Sunday evening it showed signs of activity. This morning there was a nice Krausen.
My fermentation temp is controlled with an aquarium heater in the FV, and According to the thermometer, it's happily sitting around 20 degrees.

Smells lovely, nice hop aroma overpowering the Co2 kick when snuffing the FV!

Anyway, hello again :)

So, a week later and the gravity is down to 1014, so I sterilised another FV and syphoned the beer into it.
I took a few litres and brought to the boil, then added 30g of Columbus in a Muslim hop sock and steeped for 10mins.
Added this back into the FV and it smells lovely now!

I've also made up a Young's Alcoshot kit, which was interesting, a bit different and could be very dangerous falling over juice - I never took the gravity, but should be around 15% and tastes like juice!!

View attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423326534.115668.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423326572.572865.jpg

I didn't realise Muslims had special footwear for travelling on one leg! :wink:

Love the sound of the Black IPA, let us know how it turns out. :thumb:

Good work. I like the sound of a black ipa (an IBA?), will have to do one at some point. There's something appealing about a dark looking beer that's still refreshing with a big hop hit.

Mate of mine just brewed a Black IPA, wasn't sure when I first heard of it but sampled it and it was gorgeous:
IMG_9183_zps72gpb4gf.jpg

I think this may have been a BrewUK Extract kit, will ask next time I see him:
http://www.brewuk.co.uk/lo-extract-recipe.html

That Stewart Brewing place looks awesome, what a great idea - must tip off some of my Edinburgh friends about that, and visit next time I'm up.

Latest posts

Back