First taste of cider when bottling

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redcar

Reaction score
And I have to say...

'eeurrgh'

It's very, err, sharp. I think that the taste is there but I definitely felt the string tugging on my eyeballs...

I'm not sure that the small amount of Splenda I added is going to cut it as it's not the dryness but the acidity that the problem. I don't think that malolactic fermentation happened as I'd hoped, which is a shame as I bought some culture but didn't add it as I thought that the apples would have had enough of their own.

I might have to put this year down to experience. :(

How long since it finished fermenting?

Last Xmas I bottled cider we pressed in October and it was undrinkable. Left it to mature until June and it was nectar!

I agree with the above - if you sample on bottling day, you will find that it's very 'young', it can appear too acidic, and too dry. These flavours will definitely mellow over time - you should find it a different drink in as little as two or three weeks, and give it a couple of months, and it'll be unrecognisable to now, and hopefully far much nicer.

It stopped fermenting a couple of weeks ago from pressing end of September and mid October.

I was hoping it was going to be drinkable by Christmas, but it sounds as if I'd best leave it until The Spring Thing in May.

Thanks guys.

redcar - we're being overly pessimistic - it's drinkable now, and will certainly improve by Christmas, and maybe improve more for TST2014.

after a while it only gets better in very small increments, and eventually starts getting worse, though that depends on the quality of the seal on the bottle, and we're talking several years, as I've known some bottles, 5 or 6 years old, perfectly ok, but some that were only 2 starting to go off.
there's the story of the whisky bottles on the ship that sank, one from the Spanish Armarda I think, or possibly Shakleton, anyway, bottles were still perfectly sealed, and very nice whisky.

Well I've just had my first taste from a conditioned bottle and I'd like to say thank you to Crastney and everyone for your confidence - I should have trusted you when you advised patience. :hat:

The taste is now completely different - dry with great flavour which I wouldn't have thought possible. And to think it will only get better!

Cheers chaps! :cheers:

Redcar said:
I don't think that malolactic fermentation happened as I'd hoped, which is a shame as I bought some culture but didn't add it as I thought that the apples would have had enough of their own.

MLF though may start during the normal fermentation isn't usually noticeable for months after fermentation has stopped (very noticeable with a white pelicle and farmyard smell) and requires months more 'fermentation'. I usually leave mine at least 6 months before bottling and quite often don't drink it for another 12 months, by which time it has mellowed into a pleasant drink. :grin:

Latest posts

Back