first time using normal sugar, sweet newkie brown

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlieboy

Reaction score
hi and i hope this thread is in the correct place to start with..

i usually use carbonation drops to bottle my beer as im a completely new to home brewing and they came with a kit, im using house hold sugar this time and was wondering how much to use (in g) per 500ml bottle ??

i have read and searched but my mind is frying with info overload, there is too many conflicting answers for me to take in.

im bottling up (wilko sweet newkie brown)

if any more info is needed please ask, but i done this kit as instructed and to the very basics but used normal sugar 1kg.

Really depends how fizzy you want your brew. I'm a lager drinker generally, and whilst I usually use carb drops (2 per 500ml bottle), if I don't have any of those I use one teaspoon per 500ml bottle. Think a teaspoon is about 4g of sugar (might be wrong).

Even if I'm making a different style of beer, I also like an IPA, I will give it the same level of carbonation as I would a lager.

That's the great thing about making your own brew, you can do whatever you like!

I haven't really answered your question have i????!!!!

Really depends how fizzy you want your brew. I'm a lager drinker generally, and whilst I usually use carb drops (2 per 500ml bottle), if I don't have any of those I use one teaspoon per 500ml bottle. Think a teaspoon is about 4g of sugar (might be wrong).

Even if I'm making a different style of beer, I also like an IPA, I will give it the same level of carbonation as I would a lager.

That's the great thing about making your own brew, you can do whatever you like!

I haven't really answered your question have i????!!!!

haha thnx this is all new to me so this is all great info, cheers

Charlieboy, I've done the Sweet Newkie Brown and even bought a second one this week to have a few around for Christmas. I like a well carbonated ale so I use a half tea spoon of sugar per 500ml bottle, not heaped but not trimmed off with a knife, just scoop it up and get it in the bottle and it'll be fine. Once you've got a baseline of how much sugar gives you what level of carbonation you can tailor it to your own personal taste.

A rounded half teaspoon is what i use as i don't like my beers too fizzy . Make sure you shake the bottles to dissolve the sugar, that's helped mine a lot. Household sugar has large grains. You could always but it in a grinder so its more like icing sugar.

If you can, it is easier to bulk prime - work out how much beer you've got and how fizzy you want it, then make a syrup with a little water, the right amount of sugar, boil it, cool it to the same temp as your beer, then pour it into a (sanitised) barrel that's big enough to hold your brew. Then bottle from that. Saves you having to prime each individual bottle.....

A rounded half teaspoon is what i use as i don't like my beers too fizzy . Make sure you shake the bottles to dissolve the sugar, that's helped mine a lot. Household sugar has large grains. You could always but it in a grinder so its more like icing sugar.

I never thought of priming with icing sugar, I might try a qtr tsp in a couple of 500ml bottles on Saturday.

thnx for all the help guys, i went safe and put 2g per 500ml just to be safe, i didnt fancy explaining to the mrs why the kitchen is stinking of ale and your feet are sticking to the floor with bottles going bang haha, i have kept notes so will adjust it if needed on my next batch ;)

cheers & cheers

Back