Flat beer - bottled

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bogwitch

Reaction score
I've been searching the forum and everything relating to flat beer seems to be associated with barrels. I have flat been in bottles. I must be special.

The kit was a Wilkinsons Golden Ale. I bottled with about 3g sugar in each so I wasn't expecting a massively fizzy brew but a bit of a head wouldn't go amiss!

It's been going through secondary fermentation in my kitchen (at about 19C) for about a week and a half and I put it into the cold cupboard about two days ago. Impatience got the better of me and I cracked one open to test it. Pretty good self control on my part seeing as I've had to dance round them in the kitchen for 1 1/2 weeks!

But it's flat. As a pancake. Tastes fine and I'm not going to lose any sleep over the taste, I'm just bothered that it's not what I expected. It's cleared nicely and I bottled into clear 500ml bottles with crown caps. I'mm also concerned it won't keep as well.

Any idea what I did wrong? I've got 40 pints of wherry that's close to bottling and I want to make sure I don't get it wrong again. I've got a barrel to put it into if I must but storage is tight and I can store bottles easier than I can store another barrel.

Help please!

If when you bottled you only added the priming sugar and nothing else to kill or weaken the yeast then you have done nothing wrong.
I would leave it somewhere warm for another couple of weeks, perhaps the cold spell has got to it ?

piddledribble said:
If when you bottled you only added the priming sugar and nothing else to kill or weaken the yeast then you have done nothing wrong.
I would leave it somewhere warm for another couple of weeks, perhaps the cold spell has got to it ?

Hmm... I did rack it to a clean FV but didn't add anything. Perhaps I just didn't give it enough time to regrow yeasties...

I don't think it was the cold - since I started brewing, I've been keeping my central heating on 24/7 - costing me a small fortune but it's well worth it. The bottles on the kitchen table were covered by a towel to prevent the sunlight from getting to them and I stuffed a thermometer under the towel to keep an eye on things, it didn't drop below 66 (or get above 70)

I've experienced the same thing with my Festival Suffolk Ale, just won't carb up :cry: in also using plastic 1l bottles, I've put it down to leaving to much space in the bottles. Just going to drink it flat.

Hainsey said:
I've experienced the same thing with my Festival Suffolk Ale, just won't carb up :cry: in also using plastic 1l bottles, I've put it down to leaving to much space in the bottles. Just going to drink it flat.
I use 500ml plastic bottles, as well as glass ones. I add 1/2 teaspoonfull of sugar for the 500ml bottles for ale , 1 teaspoon for lager. After bottling i leave them in the hotpress for 2 weeks. But usually after 4 or 5 days if you squeeze one of the plastic bottles, you can feel it firming up well. The space at the top of mine is about 1 1/2 inches [40mm or so] but it varies. For 1 ltr bottles, id use 1 teaspoon per bottle. Other people on here add more, or add less, and its a question of what suits your taste :thumb:

OK, they're all back out of the cold cupboard and on the table covered with the towel again. I guess it'll take a while for them to get back up to temperature. It's a shame, I was hoping they'd be at least demi-drinkable for when my family come down but that's not looking likely now. I suppose they'll all have to drink kit wine of molasses stout!

A thought occurs...

I'm not 100% sure I rinsed the bottles between sterilising and filling, I would have drained them after sterilising with Miltons. Could this have killed all the yeast?

Back