Flat beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turt01

Reaction score
Hi guys
How often should I change the seals on my barrel?
I'm having a night mare with loosing gas(lost a full barrel) :cry:
Change the tap seal..still flat
Change cap seal..still flat
Change cap...still flat
Can barrels loose shape over time time and the openings/threads become distorted?
I'm at a loss.....luckily I have two on the go so at least I've still got beer

Beer is gods gift to humanity

hello ,what you can try is filling it with water then gas it up and then get some washing up liquid and rub in on all areas where you think it may leak from , you should get bubbles foaming from leak .

I've done the Vaseline and I've gassed it up empty(not tried water) my plastic keg and tap ect is about 3yrs old and had roughly 15 brews through...have it got a working life time span ?and if so what is that ? :cheers:

Had a similar problem with an old Hambleton Bard one. Turned out to be an invisible hairline crack. I found it by half filling with water, gassing up and dunking in a bath of water. I would have never found it otherwise.

Yeah my friend emailed me last night told me the screw on cap might have hair line crack from over tightening .i do (did) really used to screw them down..maybe that is the problem any hoo.tested my old cap and hey presto....air leak...so now got a new one that should sort it....
Lost a full barrel through infection after 6weeks not sure I've ever been as gutted... :(
But it's seems this home brew is a big old learning curve...thanks for tips all appreciated..
:drink: :cheers:

Back