Footwear for the brewery

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocAnna

Queen's Knot Brewing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suspect I may have already discovered the most inappropriate footwear for brewing activities… court shoes, suede in particular… they will never recover 🙈. This evening comes a close second after spilling a litre or so of lager from a pumped hose onto white Converse shoes. Ok ok I know 🤦‍♀️. At least these were cleanable and are now drying on a radiator. I really should wear wellies but it’s a faff putting them on and they are somewhere buried in the understair cupboard.

I suspect Crocs might be the answer … but I wouldn’t be seen dead. So I suspect these might have to be a treat with my next pay packet. The red is pretty smart 😍
https://www.fitflop.com/uk/en/shop/wonderwelly-chelsea-rain-boots-p-FE9?colour=A39

So what has been your worst brewing footwear disaste?… and any recommendations for those who don’t see the joy in bright red ankle wellies?

I've been fortunate enough to not have problems with footwear, but be very careful with open footwear like sandals, flip-flops, crocs etc in a place where spilling boiling hot liquid can and does happen.

I often trip over my own feet when wearing slippers (100% indoor brewer) so It's "brewing with socks" - sounds like a quirky brewery name :laugh8:
The ones with little plastic grips on them.

I only do reduced volume boils and the wort is around 60c before transferring to fv. Plus if I did spill hot wort onto my feet the socks can be whipped off quickly.

At work we were issued bright yellow high voltage gumboots (wellies to you) that were promptly recalled, so they are my dedicated brewing footwear. Ideal for spills and clean-up operations.

Even came with a bag for storage. 🙂

Is this a footwear thing, or leaky hands 🤣🤣

That said I don't dress for the occasion, cos I am not there for long enough.

Crocs do have a tendency to be slippery if the surface is wet and not really grippy itself.

So I think the only option red full leg hunters. Practical and trendy?

I am with Agent on this Crocs are dangerous if hot wort is spilt on them and lets be honest its usually a boil over or transfer spillage on the hot side

Crocs have holes in them so the last of your dignity can drain out.
I don't even want to be seen dead in Crocs.
Foot burns are painful and take time to heal. That said I brew indoors and if I spill more than 100ml during the brewday that counts as a fail.
Accidents do happen. An absorbent shoe will give you a worse burn than a waterproof or fast draining type.
I wear slippers.

Crocs have holes in them so the last of your dignity can drain out.
I don't even want to be seen dead in Crocs.
Foot burns are painful and take time to heal. That said I brew indoors and if I spill more than 100ml during the brewday that counts as a fail.
Accidents do happen. An absorbent shoe will give you a worse burn than a waterproof or fast draining type.
I wear slippers.
Oh I’m glad someone else feels the same way about Crocs. Sadly on a pumped transfer this week the hose dislodged itself from the keg and in a few seconds poured lager onto the floor …and my shoes. I agree on the hot liquids issue. I’m thinking proper wellies till Birthday/Christmas for the red ankle wellies!

I used to work in a brewery. Instead of wearing the issued steel toe boots we used to wear what ever trainers we fancied.
One shift wearing suede Adidas Gazelles I spilt some pure caustic gel onto the toe box.
I only noticed at lunch when I felt burning and it had dissolved the suede, my sock and started on my toe.
Straight out the cafe, back to the brewery and a jug of the sterilising bath (weak acid) over my foot. Still have a scar.
Shoe was still wearable after a good wash.

I used to work in a brewery. Instead of wearing the issued steel toe boots we used to wear what ever trainers we fancied.
One shift wearing suede Adidas Gazelles I spilt some pure caustic gel onto the toe box.
I only noticed at lunch when I felt burning and it had dissolved the suede, my sock and started on my toe.
Straight out the cafe, back to the brewery and a jug of the sterilising bath (weak acid) over my foot. Still have a scar.
Shoe was still wearable after a good wash.
Dilution is the solution to pollution.
Do not try and neutralise acid with alkali or vice versa in future. Use water or diphoterine which is the best if you have it.
Caustic a worse burn than acid.

CROCS ON-THE-CLOCK WORK SLIP-ON

commonly worn in commercial kitchens. No holes and easy to clean

And some groovy colours ;)

1690388181062.png

Latest posts

Back