Foray into extract brewing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonnymorris

Landlord.
Reaction score
After reading posts on here for a while I'm finally tempted into extract brewing as the next step up from kits. Am I right in thinking all this involves is boiling up some grains, malt extract and hops to make the wort which is essentially what comes in the kit tins (albeit concentrated)?

I'm guessing the only additional bit of kit I need is a mashing bucket? I did read a review of a guy who'd made his own after dis-assembling a kettle but to be honest, with 5 gallons of wort boiling away, I think I'd like to start of with something made professionally. After a bit more digging it seems the Electim mashing bucket at £60-70 is the standard option... or can I just buy a big pot for the stove?

Finally, I've seen extract kits for sale which seems to me to slightly defeat the object of moving into extract brewing. Is there much to be said for these or should I go ahead and buy the individual ingredients to match a particular recipe?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Hi Jonny

I did my first Extract brew 3 weeks ago and I'm more than hooked. Can I suggest a book called Brew Your Own British Real Ale by Graham Wheeler. Firstly it's a good read for the home brewer secondly it is full of recipes for All Grain brewing but for you and I most of them are converted for extract brewing. I made the Timothy Taylor Landlord on the advice of my local home brew shop. When I was bottling on Tuesday I had a cheeky mouthful and it was mind blowing to think it had only just finished fermenting. I will probably never go back to kits if this is the way beer can be brewed at home (bring on the AG).

The only additional equipment I added was 2 big (15 ltr) pots and split the recipe in half (1 half in each pot). eBay is a good place to get a cheap pot or two.

I have not tried an extract kit as I now have a book full of brews to try.

Best advice I can give is go for it you will be amazed at the difference and then it's time for AG.

:cheers:

Hi jonny,you're right about needing something like the Electrim,but not as a mash tun,as a boiler.You will need to steep speciality grains for about 30 mins in water at 70 degC for about 30 mins,which you can do in an electrim,then ad extract and hops and boil as per recipe.Extract can be very expensive,if you're keen,these http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/aca ... syrup.html are a bargain,it sounds like a lot of malt,mine lasted 5 months LOL.Good luck lots of recipes and advice on here.I made do with stainless steel pans on the cooker for the first half dozen brews,it's tons better than kits.
Ian

LME is easier to dissolve and mix DME clumps together and is a PITA.

With regards to extract kits its not as daft as it seems as someone has designed and tested a recipe for you. Also you have the exact ingrediants you need and you are not lumbered with hops and malts you may not use for a while especially when you are experimenting and trying lots of different combinations finding out what does what and more to the point what you like.

In any case if you don't go down these kit route then you are better off finding a clone recipe of a beer you like. Most of my beers are based loosely on a tweaked clone recipe.

graysalchemy said:
...if you don't go down these kit route then you are better off finding a clone recipe of a beer you like...
Thanks. Old Speckled Hen recipe it is then.

I'm guessing malt and grains might keep a while once the packaging is opened but hops might not keep so well? I don't want to guy buying 25kg of malt extract and find I've got to use it all in 3 months.

Back