Free prime time advertising on the BBC.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Well done Topman, this time yesterday how many of us had either heard or given any thought to Topman.

Men's fashion retailer Topman have withdrawn a long-sleeved t-shirt that featured a large number 96 with the slogan "What goes around comes back around" on the back, after it provoked outrage on social media.

Some believed that the shirt insulted the memory of the 96 Liverpool fans who died in the Hillsborough disaster.

Topman later insisted that it referenced 'What Comes Around Goes Around', a 1996 remix of a Bob Marley song.

As you can see in the pictures above, the word "karma" was placed on one sleeve and a red rose on the front.

Topman released a statement earlier to apologise for the offence caused:

"Topman apologises unreservedly for any offence caused by this T-shirt. The design was inspired by a Bob Marley track with the number referring to the year of re-release. The garment has been removed from sale online and in stores."

5ee68bfe40d883b8b2f1f64400b7d9da.jpeg

Am I the only one who's getting a faint whiff of farmyard faeces on this one? They're saying it's a Bob Marley track but there's an awful lot of co-incidence going on.

In particular:
- Why is the shirt red? Were other colours available?
- Why the number 96? Yes, the song was re-released in 1996 but you would surely reference the original release date?
- What's the reference to the rose?
- Why does the design look so much like a football shirt than anything connected to Marley?
- Why does the model look like he's dressed in 80's clobber?

Its a sad day when 'outrage on social media' becomes important.
Perhaps thats how the world will be run one day.
Fortunately I probably won't be too affected by it, for whatever reason.

Hi!
We're having unnbelievable problems with the internet here - can't post, can't edit!

Hi!
Some believed that the shirt insulted the memory of the 96 Liverpool fans who died in the Hillsborough disaster.
It seems to me that, in our instant news/social media age that nothing can be produced without somebody reading something ridiculous into it.
Rodney Marsh played in 96 Test matches - shall we castigate him?
There are 96 metropolitan departments of France - shall we raise a diplomatic issue?

Last edited:
Hi!
We're having unnbelievable problems with the internet here - can't post, can't edit!

Hi!

It seems to me that, in our instant news/social media age that nothing can be produced without somebody reading something ridiculous into it.
Rodney Marsh played in 96 Test matches - shall we castigate him?
There are 96 metropolitan departments of France - shall we raise a diplomatic issue?

Your suggestion that people take offense at everything deeply offends me. I'm going to start a social media campaign about it, or something.

Oh my god am I sick to death of whingeing scousers complaining about just about everything. Sad and sorry about everyone that died that day but end of. I know thAt families never get over this but greave and crack on. It’s always someone else’s fault.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tend not to post in here (the "Snug") often as I find many of the post very disagreeable

Yes, I've quoted myself from another post because I feel as a member of this site I must distance myself from at least one of the comments on this thread. I would also like to pass on apologies from all the right minded people who are members of this site to anyone who has been offended,

Oh my god am I sick to death of whingeing scousers complaining about just about everything. Sad and sorry about everyone that died that day but end of. I know thAt families never get over this but greave and crack on. It’s always someone else’s fault.

What a shitty thing to say, you should be ashamed.

............ whingeing scousers complaining ........

If the "whingeing scousers" hadn't kept complaining then ...

It’s always someone else’s fault.

... there would never have been an enquiry that proved it WAS "someone else's fault"!

The people who were in charge of crowd safety screwed up, then lied, then told policemen to lie, then changed people's statements and in doing so they perverted the course of justice.

If anyone in my family had died, I too would still be looking for justice; and I'm definitely not a scouser! :wave:

What a shitty thing to say, you should be ashamed.

Ashamed of nothing, I have lost and grieved, I have seen death in front of my eyes I have lost family and comrades and come to terms with it. Move on or sit in a rut. These people have lived in self pity for far to long and where has it got them. They have now wasted there lives. There dear departed, would never have wanted them to wallow for the rest of there lives. MOVE ON. Grieve but move on.

The people who were in charge of crowd safety screwed up, then lied, then told policemen to lie, then changed people's statements and in doing so they perverted the course of justice.

If anyone in my family had died, I too would still be looking for justice; and I'm definitely not a scouser! :wave:

So you spend what’s left of your life living in the past.
I have seen things in my life that most people wouldn’t believe possible of other humans but if I dwelled on them I might as well end my life. I choose to move on, I choose life instead of wallowing I’m self destruction. I guess I’m just made of sterner stuff.

So you spend what’s left of your life living in the past.
I have seen things in my life that most people wouldn’t believe possible of other humans but if I dwelled on them I might as well end my life. I choose to move on, I choose life instead of wallowing I’m self destruction. I guess I’m just made of sterner stuff.

If they'd moved on they'd never have got the justice their dead family members deserved and the people who caused their deaths would never have faced justice. You're not made of stern stuff at all in comparison with these people.

Time to close this one as i think we all know its going to go downhill rapidly from here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back