Free Scotland

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

"Should Scotland have the right to decide its own future?

• Yes

• No

• Not sure

Results are only viewable after voting.
Scotland would fail as a single nation, it would not be allowed in the EU as a single nation.
Where are you getting this ill-informed claptrap?

The best estimates (by people who actually know what they are taking about, rather than keyboard warriors) say it could take about 10 years, which is a whole lot different from them "not being allowed to join".

Where are you getting this ill-informed claptrap?

The best estimates (by people who actually know what they are taking about, rather than keyboard warriors) say it could take about 10 years, which is a whole lot different from them "not being allowed to join".
You have your opinions I have mine. I go on the GDP what are your opinions based on?

You have your opinions I have mine. I go on the GDP what are your opinions based on?
The detailed analysis of experts in the field of politics, and what leaders of the EU have said on the topic.

Mine is less of an opinion, and more of a restatement of those far far more qualified than anyone on this forum.

Nothing to do with Scotland specifically, but with democracy in general (didn't want to start a new thread).
Bye election in Coventry 41.2% turnout. How is that democracy? What's wrong with people? Aren't things bad enough yet for people to start taking an interest? How bad do things have to get?
I understand that some say there's little difference between the two main parties: so vote green or for the MRLP. Or start your own party!
It's a win for Labour, good. But it's not a loss for the Cons as 58.8% of the constituency don't really object.
Such apathy. Pathetic.
Rant over.

Well my father is from the South. The problem is more complex, the way I see it forgetting about religion is are the people from the South any different to those in the North?
Religion is slowly fading away, don't forget some of the first United Irish men were Protestant. Brexit has ended the Union, I am sure the people that pushed Brexit understood this.

Exactly. The leaders of the EU. The gullible will accept those comments, hopefully the more intelligent won't.
Well the leaders if the EU are ultimately the ones who decide on whether a new country enters the club. So it doesn't really matter what anyone else's opinion is.

Bye election in Coventry 41.2% turnout. How is that democracy? What's wrong with people?
Turnout is always less in winter than in summer. Also, it was Chester 😂

I do wonder whether the turnout would be greater if we didn't have a broken FPTP system. Everyone knows that a vote for the less popular parties is wasted and won't make any difference even if the race is close at the top. It wouldn't surprise me a lot of a lot of people didn't bother to make a long journey to a polling station in the middle of winter when they know it won't make any difference.

Turnout is always less in winter than in summer. Also, it was Chester 😂
I did wonder what Ankoù was blathering on about. I thought he was peeed off because Lady Godiva didn't come out, dressed resplendently in nothing but her voting slip. I was about to tell him he'd been lurking and leching in the wrong village square. The old dosser!

I did wonder what Ankoù was blathering on about. I thought he was peeed off because Lady Godiva didn't come out, dressed resplendently in nothing but her voting slip. I was about to tell him he'd been lurking and leching in the wrong village square. The old dosser!
I just assumed he was already half-way down his second breakfast beer and his eyes were beginning to glaze over :beer1:

What nationalists in Scotland never seem to explain is why, in 2014, they were voting to leave the EU. That's what would have happened had Scotland voted for independence. And anyone saying that the EU would just have let them straight back in, is not living in the real world. Given that the SNP fails to answer any questions on currency, central bank, pensions, borders etc., etc., Scotland would still now be struggling to meet the criteria required to join the EU. Still, they would at least have had the Euro to look forward to - a currency that has inflated prices in every single country in which it has been adopted.

No one has ever said it was a legal position for the umpteenth time. It was stated that if they lost they wont be coming back for another crack for a generation. They have now been held to that statement.
I knew I heard it myself and like the brexit vote I thought that once the result was in we could get on with implementing the decision or forgetting about it for around 20 years. Maybe Salmond was trying it's now or never messaging. Never say , never, especially when it's from a politicians mouth. Now we have some experience of how long it takes to back out a complex arrangement (brexit) revisiting an argument every few years makes little sense to me.

Or maybe the whole judicial process with its appeals etc will take 20 years to get to a point where Scotland indyref 2 can take place. 🤔

You maybe missed the GDP chart a few pages back.

Also Scotland doesn't have a balance of payments. Certainly not one that can properly calculated without Treasury transparency.

Latest posts

Back