Fridge help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Would i be right in thinking that if a fridge has a radiater thingy on the outside there should be no tubes in the sides, the one i have has no freezer just the hump in the bottom a light and thermostat control,i am thinking of modding it to get the gas outside and taps in the door all help appreciated

Would i be right in thinking that if a fridge has a radiater thingy on the outside there should be no tubes in the sides, the one i have has no freezer just the hump in the bottom a light and thermostat control,i am thinking of modding it to get the gas outside and taps in the door all help appreciated
Is this to make something like a keggerator? I don't see why there should be any tubes at all in the sides of the fridge. When you turn it on, It's the back that gets cold and has beads of frost, not the sides so that should be a good indicator. Is it the gas cylinder to pressurise the kegs that you want to keep outside, and hence you want to drill through the side? Can't see a problem with that. Why not put the taps on the side as well, then you won't need a long length of connecting tube to allow for the door opening.
Just thoughts. i haven't made such a modification.

Yes that is the plan An, if i move the gas outside i could get 4 kegs in and a couple of 10L one's, this will be happening when the warranty runs out, thanks for the idea's acheers.

As you said mate, if there is an external radiator then the sides should *probably* be safe enough. The Curry’s ones I’ve got have no external radiator, so I strongly suspect it’s buried in the sides…

Be careful because obvs there are the thermostat wires and power supply for the light so you might be safest going in from the opposite side to all that. I recommend the @Buffers brewery approach of very carefully making a small hole first just thru the skin, and then probing carefully with a small screwdriver to check for pipes/wires.

Good luck and please show us some pics!

Last edited:
I just used 3/16 tube through the drain hole, you could carefully enlarge that it needed but I have managed to get 2 lots of 3/16 (CO2 and mixed gas) through with no problem.

Admittedly it is not as neat and @The-Engineer-That-Brews effort but it is workable

I second that. Though I only use the drain hole for the gas. The beer lines go through the top which is where the coolant lines run on quite a few fridges.

Removing the plastic top, there was a thin layer of plastic whuch I cut a hole in, then had a poke around with a pencil. When I was satisfied there were no lines, I simply cut a hole in the foam which allowed me to use a tap tower or a 'coffin box' that seem to be popular for keezers (I opted for the coffin box), meaning I don't have to bend down ro pour a pint and doesn't take up as much room. Also, it means I have somewhere to put secondary regulators, gas spanner etc.

My first fridge conversion resulted in mild electric shock as I went in the side and thats where the light and thermostat cables are.
And yes it was unplugged but when I was “sure” I hadn’t hit anything I plugged it back in and it worked fine. The electric shock was from poking a screwdriver in the hole to push some insulating foam out. What a plonker.

Use the other side or the drain hole.

I have posted this before. My method is to put any holes required through the step where the compressor is. This is a plastic area with no cooling tubes through. Just in case I use an old soldering iron to melt my way in. Although I have only done this in 2 fridges I have never had a problem except I can’t use the soldering iron for soldering anymore.

I have posted this before. My method is to put any holes required through the step where the compressor is. This is a plastic area with no cooling tubes through. Just in case I use an old soldering iron to melt my way in. Although I have only done this in 2 fridges I have never had a problem except I can’t use the soldering iron for soldering anymore.
That’s a great idea.

Back