Fridge/Kegerator

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gassman

Reaction score
My fridges coldest temp seems to be 8 degrees

Is there a way to set the thermostat to go lower

I looked at this today http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STC-1000-Heat ... 2ecf7f8b5e

I sent a message to the seller asking would that lower the temperature in my fridge

He says no but I thought that was what the stc was all about

Confused, please reply

The stc 1000 won't let your fridge go any cooler as it will still be governed by the temperature setting of the fridge thermostat. The stc setting will be irrelevant once set below the fridge thermostat setting as the fridge will always cut out at, in your case, 8C.

If you bypass the thermostat you may be able to get your fridge cooler. Not sure how or if you can do that though.

Have you gone the right way with the fridge stat mate? My fridges on lowest go to around 8/9'c but on coldest are about 0/1'c.

Likely you have gone the wrong way with the thermostat. But anyway, this is one of the reasons why I connect the stc into the fridge (disconnecting the thermostat and any other suspicious-looking internal fridge wiring) and wire it directly to the mains and the compressor.

Gethin79 said:
If you bypass the thermostat you may be able to get your fridge cooler. Not sure how or if you can do that though.

There should be a connector block in the fridge somewhere (for example under a plastic cover on or next to the compressor at the back). This will have the mains supply going into it, the compressor connections, and some wires that disappear into the fridge. These wires are for the thermostat, light, etc. If you disconnect these, you should be left with the neutral supply going directly to the compressor, and the live to the compressor with nothing connected to it. This is where you connect the "cool" output from the stc. There will be other terminals you can connect the stc live neutral and earth to.

Hehehehe now come on, have I gone the wrong way

I've had a fridge since 1961 so do know the dials

Mine goes to number 5 and its on that (not digital) just an old larder fridge

I did notice when I was given this that it was not as cold as my own fridge

The motor is not always on so can't be knackered, maybe just doesn't go as cold as a normal fridge

8 degrees if I am lucky and most of the time 10

Some fridges are actually labelled in C, so 0-9 means the opposite of the normal thermostat, just to confuse things.

So maybe it is just that this fridge is not as cold as others (wish we had a fridge engineer as a drinker)

When I got it second hand I did notice it was not as cold as my own fridge

Thermostats can go in fridges. I'd imagine it's probably that. If it's got a leak, I wouldn't imagine it would work at all, it's under high pressure I believe.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/elect ... -do.html#b

I'd look at that link above, it all seems fairly sensitive. Ours gets frozen solid and the suggestion is to run a bit of copper wire off the waste heat elements down into the defrost tray to help evaporate it off.

Thermostats do indeed go in fridges, although the only case in my limited experienced was the other way round, the compressor was always running.

Latest posts

Back