frozen beer during clearing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smurf

Reaction score
Hi,

I made the mistake of leaving my bottled beer outside on Friday evening and some of the bottles froze over night. I bottled the beer 2 weeks ago after 3 weeks of fermenting.

Do you think the fact that my beer froze will have any affect on the end result?

Thanks

Ian

It'll be fine just like lagering but you did it with an ale :thumb:

But you need to check if the lids are still on tight. and no of the bottles are cracked else you may end up with a mess if they thaw ;)

As long as they remained sealed and have already carbed up then they will be fine. I experienced this in my garage last year (it was -20C for a few days) and the bottles that survived were completely drinkable and still had carbonation.

FrozenBeer8-12-10.jpg

Duncs said:
Why? :wha: where would it go?
I only know that when I've put bottles in the freezer to chill before drinking and left them too long they thaw out completely flat.

Interesting that the guy above hasn't seen the same.

Don't know what the difference is.

jonnymorris said:
I only know that when I've put bottles in the freezer to chill before drinking and left them too long they thaw out completely flat.

Interesting that the guy above hasn't seen the same.

Don't know what the difference is.
I guess if you open the bottle while it's frozen and thaw it out, it would loose its fizz. But if it's thawed out before opening, there's nowhere for the CO2 to go, so the beer will still be fizzy

Watch out for the glass cracking. A course I attended sugested that beer left for more than afew days at -5c will 'separate' as the water freezes and loose all its fizzy. I would like to be proven wrong!

thanks for the info everyone. hopefully it will be ok - I'll give it until the weekend and then try drinking one!

challenge accepted will freeze a bottle of bitter when its finished be a yeasty mess and will right something about it hahahahaha

just tried a bottle for the frozen brew and it's come out just normal. A little light on fiz but very drinkable. Only been in bottles for 3 weeks since primary fermentation, so can only get better!

almost two months down the line and its gone downhill! no fizz and a funny after taste a bit like old medicine! luckily i've got a wherry kegged up, which is turning out to be a great little session beer

Latest posts

Back