Frozen Mango

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I added my frozen fruit at yeast pitch. Seemed to work out OK,

I presume you would get more flavor leaving it but as it was a sour it just went in to simplify the process.

So although I really appreciated the advice, when it came down to it and I was tasting my cold crashed beer, and deciding if I should continue in my brewing rut I seem to have found myself in (making average beer in the shortest time possible to avoid the wrath of kids and wife) I decided to throw caution to the wind... or rather I decided to throw frozen mango in to the beer. (N.B I put it all in a fresh fermenter to remove the slurry of yeast and dry hops first)

I then left it for a good 4 or 5 days under the stairs to see if fermentation would kick in again and to allow the mango to give up it's sweet mango-ey goodness. The lid bulged a bit but other than that nothing seemed to happen. I didn't bother taking any gravities because by now I was already so far off course it didn't really matter. Flavour wise it lost a lot of its bitterness and became sweeter but other than that it didn't develop any Mango taste.

Stuck it in the corny and started it force carbing in the fridge. It's been about 4 days and I've been tasting it regularly to monitor it's progress ;-). It has really started to develop a lovely smooth, slightly sweet subtle fruitiness.

So far I'm very pleased. My only concern is if it is slowing fermenting away in there and will progressively get more and more potent and lively.

You should let the mango thaw out to a similar temp as the fermenting beer so as to not drop the temp in the beer and shock the yeast even possibly putting it to sleep.
As I type I have removed 2kg of frozen rhubarb to defrost overnight in the same room as the beer so it should be near the same temp

Beer was cold crashing in the fridge so was at a low temp but I appreciate the frozen mango would be lower temp. I was taking into account the advice of some contributors on here that said even though I've cold crashed and the yeast is dormant it can still kick off another fermentation . Bear in mind I was trying to avoid futher fermentation

Rhubarb? I hope it tastes better in beer than it does in... well, anything else ;-)

I made a raspberry witbier recently. I used frozen berries and let them thaw to room temperature, then added them for a week. I waited until primary fermentation was finished then just dumped them in. No dry hopping in this beer though.
There was a blip on the gravity graph (using a floating Pill) but nothing as big as I expected. Turned out really nice and fruity.
Also a couple of years ago I made a Bergamot Hopfen weisse (Cloudwater recipe from the Brewdog book) and added the oranges with the dry hops. Turned out great.

Beer was cold crashing in the fridge so was at a low temp but I appreciate the frozen mango would be lower temp. I was taking into account the advice of some contributors on here that said even though I've cold crashed and the yeast is dormant it can still kick off another fermentation . Bear in mind I was trying to avoid futher fermentation

Rhubarb? I hope it tastes better in beer than it does in... well, anything else ;-)
Rhubarb in Gin is wonderful and very good in crumbles. I would not put it anywhere near beer lol.

It does and it is one of my regular brews, I sometimes do it with strawberries too which compliment the rhubarb

Latest posts

Back