Fuggles dry hopping - always grassy?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antony

Regular.
Reaction score
Hey. So I've been playing.around with fuggles as a dry hop, however so far my efforts have been remarkably grassy, despite one of my attempts only.being for an evening.

Is this normal? I take it dry hopping with EKG would have a different taste/aroma. Which will hopefully be more to my taste. If so. I feel a trip to my LHBS coming along :)

grassy might be one word, but if you're leaving the hops and/or beer exposed to light in any way, that will cause a bad grassy off flavour...

How long are you leaving the dry hops in the beer for ? Grassy flavour can come from them being in too long.

I think 2 weeks is around the maximum recommended but others may know better.

I only have mine in for 5 days ;) I use pellet hops and a hop bag hung over the side with string and weighed down with marbles so it can sit in the centre of the brew

Oops. Missed that!

Leaving in for an evening.

What sort of quantity are we talking about? Grassy is one of the flavour descriptors applied to Fuggles so I'd imagine it could be unpleasant if overdone.

I've done a couple of beers dry-hopped with EKGs and not noticed any grassy flavours but this was only at 2-3g per gallon.

Okay, I've checked my calendar, the first batch was a very hoppy ale and I did had dry hops for about two weeks (as I was really busy) so that explains the grassyness in that one. (will it fade?maybe I should transfer from keg to bottle, as I prefer bottles for aging beers.

The second batch seems to have faded into the wherry nicely. However I definitely think EKG would work better.

as Dr M above

also there is the opinion that maximum flavour is extracted after 3 days, so keep the time short 3-5 days, and if using a bag for the hops make sure there is enough room to allow the beer to soak all the hops and that it is immersed in the beer. I use a wine making straining bag rather than a muslin sock.

Latest posts

Back