Full mash Dry stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

astralbrew

Reaction score
Hello everyone

I am pretty much new to all this and have jumped in at the deep end making beer using BIAB recipes...
So far not great, i managed to produce a great looking but absolutely vile tasting Belgian pale ale, I used liquid yeats and made mistakes :doh:

I have a dry stout in the fermenter at the moment, again BIAB, all has been going great this time, nice clean brew day, good boil, chiller worked a treat, and dried yeast kicked in rapidly. So the brew seems to have calmed down in the bucket, bubbles are pretty rare, nice big krausen that is diminishing and a thick yeast sludge at the bottom,,,,
So here we go,, it has only been a week in the tub, gravity of 1.012 achieved, so the rcipe says bottle,, but i am in two minds whether or not to leave it another week to condition in the tub ? to try and mellow it a bit before bottling..
What are your thoughts on this ??

would love to have my own stout ready for St Patrick's day as I am having a bash at the house

Thanks in advance

Hello everyone

I am pretty much new to all this and have jumped in at the deep end making beer using BIAB recipes...
So far not great, i managed to produce a great looking but absolutely vile tasting Belgian pale ale, I used liquid yeats and made mistakes :doh:

I have a dry stout in the fermenter at the moment, again BIAB, all has been going great this time, nice clean brew day, good boil, chiller worked a treat, and dried yeast kicked in rapidly. So the brew seems to have calmed down in the bucket, bubbles are pretty rare, nice big krausen that is diminishing and a thick yeast sludge at the bottom,,,,
So here we go,, it has only been a week in the tub, gravity of 1.012 achieved, so the rcipe says bottle,, but i am in two minds whether or not to leave it another week to condition in the tub ? to try and mellow it a bit before bottling..
What are your thoughts on this ??

would love to have my own stout ready for St Patrick's day as I am having a bash at the house

Thanks in advance
Leave it alone for another week and re test it before bottling.

It's going to be very tight to get a clear and conditioned pint by 17th March.

Personally, because stout takes longer to clear and condition than lighter beers and assuming that we are talking about a 23 litre brew, I would use the time available as follows:

o Allow to ferment out for another week until 17th February.

o Rack it off into a Bottling Bucket, carbonate with 90 grams of sugar and bottle.

o Keep the bottles somewhere warm and dark to carbonate for another 10 days until 27th February.

o Check one bottle to ensure that carbonation has taken place. (Don't be surprised if it doesn't taste very nice!)

o Move the bottles to somewhere cold and dark to allow them to condition until 16th March and then try one.

If it tastes terrible on the 16th March it still allows you time to go out and buy some other beer whilst the poor abused stout sits on your shelf for another month to condition properly. :lol: :lol:

Enjoy! :thumb:

thanks guys...
I like the plan Dutto, will do exactly that.

tastes ok at the minute, as i taste the SG samples, very stouty if a little sharp...

Thanks for the input..
Ihave done a sneaky Muntons stout kit too, to hopefully have something to serve up as home 'live' beer..

Just as an addition to all the comments. Keep some back,put away some where for a month or more,they really do improve.When i first started i sort of poo hoo'd the idea and wanted to neck it all down asap but certainly in the case of stout's and porters they really get better with age:thumb:

I brewed a Cherry milk stout that was truly awful after a month or two. Lots of hot alcohol and generally very rough. A year later and it was like an entirely new beer. Smooth and complex and the cherry flavours had become more apparent.

I sometimes think this brewing game is witchcraft.

just an update on the stout

the krausen is clearly dissapearing and there is yeast activity again in the fermenter.... glad i did'nt bottle it already....
sound advice

I have my first AG stout in secondary at the moment 20 litres split between 2 fermenters.One has been dry hopped and the other untouched but I had measured out 50 of first gold and 50 of Amarillo thinking of the whole batch and it wasn't until a few days later that I had realised my mistake and hopped the lot into the fermenter which I should have done but only should have been 50g.I think that I'm in for a hippy stout 🍺👍😋

Ok, it's in the bottles.... followed the plan discussed here and it worked a treat, very little splashing, mixed priming sugar in second fermenter, then bottled.. only ended up with 16 litres,, but hopefully it will be 'ripper rita'.... the kids helped with the name, 'stinky sheep stout' .... smells about right!!!

Latest posts

Back