Funny taste

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oscar Mild

Reaction score
Hi all, I've recently started to use a corny keg, my first batch is disappointing, there seems to be a metallic taste to the brew. I'm using a beer engine, and 19 litres went Into the corny keg and the remainder went into a small barrel. The small barrel was fine...any ideas where I went wrong.

Never heard of a beer engine
Excuse me
Is keg cleaned and sanitized
How did u transfer
How are u carbing
Bit more info and a lot of people here can help you
Details more and more
Beer style, fermentation style,yeast
Sorry but that's just the tip lol

Hi all, I've recently started to use a corny keg, my first batch is disappointing, there seems to be a metallic taste to the brew. I'm using a beer engine, and 19 litres went Into the corny keg and the remainder went into a small barrel. The small barrel was fine...any ideas where I went wrong.

Never heard of a beer engine
Excuse me
Is keg cleaned and sanitized
How did u transfer
How are u carbing
Bit more info and a lot of people here can help you
Details more and more
Beer style, fermentation style,yeast
Sorry but that's just the tip lol
A beer engine is a beer pump, I steralised using VWP.I transferred the brew by turning on the tap at the bottom of my fermenting vessel, I carbed after purging the keg and put it up to about 25 psi for a week and the brew was a Geordie bitter the yeast came with it....be gentle I'm new to corny kegging. Thanks for your reply.

For starters on sorry to say vwp is a cleaner I think not 100 percent
The go to sanitizer for home e brewing is starsan check it out

This has got nothing to do with the flavour.
BUT
In my understanding, a beer engine draws beer up from a non-pressurised cask and dispenses it into the glass, while a corny keg is pressurised and quite unsuited to a beer engine.
SO
DId you dispense the beer from the cornie or the small barrel with your beer engine?

I thought that would be the reason somehow, damn I've just put another brew on using the same stuff. Thanks again for your reply, do you think the brew is safe to drink. ?

This has got nothing to do with the flavour.
BUT
In my understanding, a beer engine draws beer up from a non-pressurised cask and dispenses it into the glass, while a corny keg is pressurised and quite unsuited to a beer engine.
SO
DId you dispense the beer from the cornie or the small barrel with your beer engine?
I used the beer engine with the corny and just used the tap on the plastic barrel. I've used the beer engine on a king keg before that was fine I used to gas that up too,that was fine. I transferred a stout from a king keg to the other corny keg and drew that via the beer engine and that was fine too....strange.

VWP is a Cleaner Steraliser, I use it regularly on cornies but its not great on stainless so you need to rinse it off thoroughly. After rinsing I then rinse with starsan, purge it out, pressurise and leave until filling with beer.
shopping.png

Agh it's a sterliser but needs rinsing maybe that's the off flavour if not rinsed fully
I never have problems with starsan that's all I know lol

Could be from your keg, is this the first time you have used it? There are a lot of cheap kegs on the market, a lot haven't gone through the passivation process leaving bare mild steel spots around the weld area.

Could be from your keg, is this the first time you have used it? There are a lot of cheap kegs on the market, a lot haven't gone through the passivation process leaving bare mild steel spots around the weld area.
Hi, yes this is the first time I've used the keg, it must be a few years old it's got west Germany on it. Will this taste go away the more it is used. ?

Latest posts

Back