Funny thing I noticed about beer bottles...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well it's a good job it isn't the other way around. Come to think of it, I am not sure if I have ever seen a green bottle with a deep collar.
Magners pear cider.

011 - Amber cascade 12-3-21.jpg

I can't really see any advantage in using clear bottles. I just use a little LED torch and view it through the brown bottle. If it's held close to the bottle it can be moved from top to bottom to easily view clarity.

I love brew2bottle but 10 days for delivery is making me think twice now

Hey

Just a quick update to this. We've invested more in people and systems again and jigged a lot around in the warehouse over the last couple of months and are now running split shifts on more days. We now have people in the warehouse 12 hours a day 7 days a week. All of this means that depending on what time the order is placed we're shipping orders generally within 24 hours of them arriving on our systems and in a lot of cases the same day the order is placed. What was happening previously is we were walking into a huge backlog of orders from weekends, if we hadn't cleared the orders down by Friday then this just made things worse and created bigger delays.

There will be hiccups but ultimately no-one should be waiting for an order for too long now. If you've had your dispatch email and the order hasn't arrived or need to get in touch with us for anything delivery related then please do.

Some of you will already know but we've recently also introduced our own packaging to help get those orders to you in one piece at the first attempt. To keep the cost down and not have to pass this on to you guys we've had to order 75 pallets of boxes... it's a lot when you see them piled up :) Any feedback on this new packaging would be great.

Cheers

You're right! I have two or three green bottles that I've hung onto cos they're pretty, but invariably they don't have the deep collar either.

For me it's no great hardship to get the hand tool out for just one bottle per batch, It is strange, though. And in the meantime I can collect few more Rev James. not a bad pint at all, available at Lidl.

It's also fair to say that not everyone has, or even wants, a bench to fix a bench capper to. My capper works well on 90% of bottles. For the rest, I have hand tool.

it just made me smile in the supermarket when i realised that, in looking at a Rev James and a Doom Bar, say, I was actually deciding on which to buy on the basis of the bottle shape!

You don't need to permanently fix a bench capper to a bench. I use mine free standing. It has quite a large base plate, and it is stable. If in doubt, you can hold the bottle with one hand while you pull down the lever with the other, and/or sit on the floor while you put the caps on so there is nowhere for it to fall were it to tip over.
The only real downside with a bench capper is that you have to adjust it for different height bottles. I got fed up with doing this, and dumped the odd ones, and now use a standard height bottle. The majority of 500ml brown (and many clear) beer bottles are the same height give or take a few mm, which doesn't matter.

But it'll be a cold day in hell when I buy any pear cider!
My Mrs is partial to it. I find it a bit sweet and sickly.
I've also got a crate full of St Peter's Cream stout bottles that are a kind of dark green. I don't know if they're still like that though. Mine have the usual beer bottle top bit.

Back