FV as a Holding Vessel

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenacre

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm in the process of investing in equipment for all-grain brewing and trying to do so in the most economical way possible to begin with.

Looking at getting an electric boiler (likely the ACE as modifying/re-wiring etc. really isn't my strongpoint) and a modified cool-box to use as a mash-tun.

My question really concerns a hot liqour tank for heating my sparge water - is it possible/practical to use the boiler for this, and run off my wort into the FV - using it as a sort of 'holding pen' - before decanting it all back into the boiler once the sparge is complete to then proceed with the boil?

I understand the conventional way to do this might be with another boiler/kettle but in the first instance is such additional expense absolutely necessary?

Any help/advice much appreciated!

Hi guys, I'm in the process of investing in equipment for all-grain brewing and trying to do so in the most economical way possible to begin with.

Looking at getting an electric boiler (likely the ACE as modifying/re-wiring etc. really isn't my strongpoint) and a modified cool-box to use as a mash-tun.

My question really concerns a hot liqour tank for heating my sparge water - is it possible/practical to use the boiler for this, and run off my wort into the FV - using it as a sort of 'holding pen' - before decanting it all back into the boiler once the sparge is complete to then proceed with the boil?

I understand the conventional way to do this might be with another boiler/kettle but in the first instance is such additional expense absolutely necessary?

It's fine, asked the exact same question a couple weeks back as this is what I plan to do also.

Seems quite a few people do this exact thing.

are there any particular disadvantages to BIAB over conventional mashing though?

Yes you end up with much less shiny equipment...
Seriously though, they say you don't get the same level of efficiency, but that's not true if you do a sparge (by dunking the bag of grains into a few litres of hot water in the FV you're going to end up using).

I have used this method when I started out AG brewing, it worked just fine :thumb:

That is exactly what I do... :)

Hi!
How much are you paying for your picnic cooler mash tun? You could get a 10 litre boiler for £40 (your HLT) and mash in the ACE - it's double walled and insulated. Collect your first runnings in a FV, sparge from the 10 litre boiler, collect the sparged wort, a quick clean of the ACE and begin your boil.

That is exactly what I do... :)

Thanks all for your replies - would I need a particularly heat-tolerant FV or would any standard fermenting bin suffice?

Is there much of a consensus around amy being especially better than any others?

Thats exactly how my first brews went, i did eventually add a hlt to the mix as i have the storage capacity and it does male things a little simpler, but its not crucial to a brewday if you can contain and lift the tun runnings in a FV ;) go for it.. Also if you batch sparge, and can measure the volume of the first drain of the tun.
If you subtract that volume from your preboil volume target you have the specific volume of the 2nd batch needed to Hit the target spot on ;)

Thanks all for your replies - would I need a particularly heat-tolerant FV or would any standard fermenting bin suffice?

Is there much of a consensus around amy being especially better than any others?

Hello Greenacre,

To be honest, I have never had an issue with the Wilko buckets or the taller FV with the narrow neck.

I would recommend two or more vessels if possible. Makes it easier to lift and pour into the boiler. Be careful as you are lifting up vessels of sticky liquid hot enough to burn!

Jerry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wot Jerry said (1st...) over 80C hdpe can soften somewhat so if a hdpe bucket is lifted full (of hot liquor) by its handle it can deform somewhat and spill.. (not all fv's are hdpe however)

This is what I do... wort drains into a wilko fermenting bucket..no problems. If you are doing a 1 stage batch sparge, you can drain the first runnings (eg 13ltrs), then add the sparge water to the tun, then drain any excess water from the boiler, and set up for the boil (I boil outside). Then take the 1st runnings and put into the boiler
...only 13lts (depending on what you are brewing) so not a problem or unsafe lifting. Then go back and half fill the bucket again with the second runnings.

Back