FV Mash Tun

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b4dg3r

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Ive been doing a few BIAB brews, but looking at getting a mash tun to get better control over my brew and include a sparging step.

I was looking at a Cool box to convert, but to get a large enough one it seems it would be quite pricey, then adding all the fittings.

So i just had a brain wave but there is something i have probs over looked, why not use a cheap FV with a tap as a MT and just insulate the hell out of it ? anyone had a go or got any better ideas ?

Cheers Badger

Holding the temp stable is an important part of the brewing process. Its not easy to do that with a thin walled plastic bucket. It can be done but its a lot of faffing around.
Bite the bullet and get a coolbox for Christmas, you will be glad you did.

I'm thinking of moving from biab to traditional ag and I was thinking the exact same thing. I use a 33 litre fv as a boiler/mash tun at the minute and it holds the temp perfectly when wrapped up in a water cylinder jacket so I can't see why it wouldn't work.
A cooler box would no doubt be the better option but I think you could get away with using a fv.

You can do that easily, buy a £10 hot water cylinder jacket to insulate it and sit it on polystyrene or wall insulation and cut a circle for the lid.

Jeltz said:
You can do that easily, buy a £10 hot water cylinder jacket to insulate it and sit it on polystyrene or wall insulation and cut a circle for the lid.
Only £6 at Toolstation - identical to those sold by DIY shops at £15. Buy two and get delivery for free.

24l cool box at Tesco for £24. That should be big enough for a regular size brew. I can squeeze about 28l finished beer using a 24l mash tun. In fact I'm constrained by the size of the boiler rather than the mash tun.

I got this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/IGLOO-GALLON-RO ... loo+cooler

I put a tap and a stainless steel braided hose filer on it for about a tenner... So its about half the price of a pre built mash tun. The orifice where the tap is is good, both sides come together making fitting your tap really convenient and your not crushing two sides together.

I think one of the sponsors sells just the tap.

Holds temp ace and I brew outside! :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator:
If anyone out there is already brewing but wishes to have a mash tun (or new one) you should think about a thermo pot mash tun . You will be looking at it sooner or later and saving up and waiting for 1 is better than spending money on £50 igloo box when a thermo pot could be £55/60 . They are the bees knees , and yes a pain to convert but worth it .

mike77 said:
24l cool box at Tesco for £24. .

I got a cool box from Argos a couple of years ago , it was about £18 at the time and I use a mashing bag inside it. It is just the basic box with no tap but after the mashing period I lift the bag out and stain a couple of times adding to boiler for the boil.

Latest posts

Back