Galaxy SmASH help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all

I'm considering a Galaxy SmASH BIAB for my next brew as I have never used the hop but know I like it after having it in some commercial brews. Therefore after some help. I've come up with the following malt bill and hop schedule for starters...

2.6 kg Crisp Malting - Extra Pale Maris Otter
225 g Holland & Barrett - Organic Flaked Barley
170 g Bairds - Maris Otter Pale Ale

10 g Magnum Pellet 15 Boil 30 min
15 g Galaxy Pellet 14.25 Boil 10 min
15 g Galaxy Pellet 14.25 Boil 5 min
30 g Galaxy Pellet 14.25 Aroma 0 min
40 g Galaxy Pellet 14.25 Dry Hop 5 days

Does this look okay? I have a little pale ale malt left over so thought it wouldn't do much harm to chuck it in.

Brewers Friend tells me I am looking at 5.5 ABV ish with 46 IBU's with this, both of which I am okay with.

I'm a new BIAB brewer (this will be attempt 4) and I am still struggling a bit with water volumes to use and accurate use of Brewers Friend. I'm aiming for about 12L in the FV; I have a 15L stockpot as my kettle. Last brew I was also aiming for 12L in the fermenter and only actually had 9 post boil, so topped up with bottled water to 11L. On bottling day I managed to actually package 17x500ml bottles; meaning 2.5L or so lost to hop trub. Would it therefore be okay to mash in say 9L and sparge with 6L; meaning I would have about 12L for the boil due to grain absorption losses, and I'm guessing about 10L post boil due to boil off; which I could again top up to 12L in the FV. Sound reasonable?

Any advice appreciated.
Maybe try and sparge your grain with 2 litres of 75/80 bottled/treated water next time to make up the evaporation loss.
I normally fill a spare fermenter with a couple of kettle fulls of water and dunk the grain in (biab) with a peg holding the bag closed and put the lid on leaving for 15 mins
I do the samw size batches and found 2 litres is enough for around 3kg of grain

Latest posts

Back