Gaming in 1988

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How things have changed, i had a play on my lads PS5 the other night having given up gaming a long time ago i was blown away, if you watch this in 1080p imagine what it looks like in QHD or 4k.

If you view this full screen make sure you switch the resolution to 1080p or higher as it defaults to 720p.

I'm from the era of Mega Drives and Super Nintendo moving on to PlayStation and Dreamcast and N64 etc, but never really been a big gamer and lost interest in the new games look far too complicated and probably too much of the effort goes into graphics and less on the game itself, but I'd prefer simpler anyway, not these "worlds"

I'm a big gamer and I can promise you the gameplay far outstrips anything we used to play 10-20 years ago - and obviously the graphics are unbelievable
It's not just about 'wowzer scenes' after killing a big boss etc, it's continuous throughout

But I have to admit I am a bit of an ADHD gamer and want it full on instantly, so the big involved world's are not my thing. I've always been a call of duty / SIM racer type gamer, so things like verdun, battle royal, warzone, assetto Corsa and rally games are more my thing.

My addiction started with a playstation 1 and grandtourismo. Epic stuff

1988? I had my ZX Spectrum and my Sinclair QL. Games on the Spectrum, development of DSP routines, a fractal zoom program and drawing geometric fractals using Pascal.

the new games look far too complicated and probably too much of the effort goes into graphics and less on the game itself, but I'd prefer simpler anyway, not these "worlds"

Well i am hooked again like a big kid :laugh8:

I have put a few hours into the game in the video above i am playing in easy mode as i haven't got the patience to play the same part over and over if you keep getting killed, i am totally hooked i have read you can easily put 80+ hours into this game so i guess i will be finding out, i used to be into FPS's in a big way playing online but i would rather now play games like this with a decent story, the graphics are brilliant but as you say the story is the most important part.

I started back in the days of pong then moved onto the Atari, NES, Sega Master, Super Nintendo, PlayStation, Dreamcast (pictures in order below) then probably all newer models of console that followed although i dint get into X-Box i was a PS fanboy.

1692388220339.png
1692388487126.png
1692388513258.png
1692388527110.png
1692388592211.png
1692388628525.png
1692388649938.png

1988? I had my ZX Spectrum and my Sinclair QL. Games on the Spectrum, development of DSP routines, a fractal zoom program and drawing geometric fractals using Pascal.
Got a Spectrum in the garage with a load of cassette tape games. Rescued it from the in-laws throwing it in the trash.
Got no tape player to hook up to unfortunately. Maybe one day...

My first gaming computer was a Commodore 64, software was on tape cassettes and you had to install it each time you played it with heart in mouth that it would actually load. My first actual computer had a green screen monitor and 2 removable hard drives of 40MB each lol and I didn't actually have any purpose for it.
I have had many PC's over the years and been a gamer on and off. Recently I played Farming Simulator 22 on a private server and that was pretty awesome.
I tend to prefer multiplayer games but hate open servers as they tend to be full of people out to spoil your day.
The only game I am playing at the moment is Arma 3 and I joined a Military Simulator group (Milsim) which is run by a few ex military guys, it's kept real without the yes sir no sir and is real fun whilst being pretty realistic. To be honest I think it far outweighs the Call of Duty type games for realism, not graphically as its getting on a bit now but for realistic gameplay.

Two joysticks. Right?
No, most MP games I played are keyboard and mouse, Arma is the same. I did play Star Citizen for a while and considered two joysticks, I think for space flight sims they are great but not sure where else I would need them?

As started on the C64. Moved into thr Sega machines and then PlayStation up to the 3rd edition. Also played a lot of PC games. Football manager and age of empires being a favourite.

My son is 9 just before Xmas and no doubt he will ask for a console like he did last year. I know the wife won't be keen but I might be tempted

Started on the Acorn Electron, Chucky Egg, a footy manager game whose name I can't remember and Elite which was absolutely incredible, me and my dad spent hours and hours playing Elite, mapping out the universe, really fun.

I've got an xbox one which I rarely play now but I recently bought a couple of games for the kids crash bandicoot racing and a couple of puzzle games which they/we enjoy.

My son is 9 just before Xmas and no doubt he will ask for a console like he did last year. I know the wife won't be keen but I might be tempted

If you are thinking of buying PS5 (i would highly recommend it) hold on as long as you can as i believe they are bringing a slim version out, the prices of the current version should drop.

Back