Gaming in 1988

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are thinking of buying PS5 (i would highly recommend it) hold on as long as you can as i believe they are bringing a slim version out, the prices of the current version should drop.

PlayStation would be my choice but the prices are still crazy. Will keep an eye out for any sales etc

We used to play a text based adventure called Colossus (also known as Colossal Caves on some platforms) on the schools Research Machines 380Z in the early 80's. Spent many lunchtimes wandering round in circles in a misty wood.

Atari was my first console, but the first proper gaming computer was the Amiga 500 with a ram upgrade to make it a 1000, rocket fast lol!
Went from that to the PS1, 2, 3 and 4. My son has the 5, which seems very capable, but I can't say i game much any more. When I do, I tend to use the PS3, no subscription required and the offline campaign modes of the older games are far bigger and better than the more modern games, they tend to focus on the online content.

My impression is that engines, in-game physics/mechanics etc have developed a lot.
At the cost of writing and story lines, Fallout 4 for example and likely 5 when it realeases is nothing compared to FO 1+2 and New Vegas. But that may also be related to Bethesda being lazy arsoles dropping unfinished games...

Atari VCS (Woody) was where it was at. Rest of the Christmas holidays after getting this, dud, dud, dud, dud.......

Screenshot 2023-08-21 090323.png

I started on a Acorn Electron Codename Droid, Exile, Elite, Chucky Egg. My Brother had a Spectrum 48k got massively into the Dizzy Series on that.

Problem with a lot of games is they are all the same. It was much easier in the early 80's zx/commodore/BBC days to come up with a new concept.

When I watch what my son plays, they are the like modern movies, bland & just competing on who has the best graphics, but what you need is the gameplay.

My fav. PC game for many years was the original Civilisation. Now I think it's the original 1999 edition of homeworld, and it still plays on windows10. The sequals & remakes were just rubbish though as they made everything too complex an cumbersome.

The sequals & remakes were just rubbish though as they made everything too complex an cumbersome.

This is a sequel, put it on the highest resolution you can it looks great and the gameplay is good as the first.

Last edited:
Alas chippy, not much use to me as I use an old laptop that the kids used to use at school.
The best game it can manage these days is runescape with all the settings down to a minimum.
Haven't been able to even use it for Minecraft since ms bought the company & made it require a shed load more cpu/GPU power to run.

PS3 is the sweet spot for me, even now the game graphics are pretty good and the games have more depth to them. Hard to believe it's 17 years old and I still use it. I have a PS4 as well, maybe 10 years younger than the PS3 and not as heavily used, but the thing is, it's noisy as hell and showing signs of age, it doesn't really feel any more advanced than the previous generation either. They don't build them like they used to.

The PS5 is an awesome bit of kit, the graphics are amazing if you have a decent TV or monitor (I have the latter) I decided to change my old monitor to see how good the PS5 is I didn't go for a 4k as they are still very expensive but on a 1440p monitor the games look amazing, I also like the fact that when you start a game it loads the save so fast you hardly notice it and in games you never have any pauses.
The new version is rumoured to be arriving soon so I imagine prices will drop and with games being affordable in the second hand market I can see many PS4 owners deciding it's time to trade the system in and give the new one a try.

Last edited:
My son has the PS5 and it is a good bit of kit in terms of graphics and performance. I have actually started seeing deals for the PS5 under £400 so they are becoming a better proposition that's for sure!

My son got his from ARGOS a while ago i think it was down from £480 to £400 but the price increased again soon after, i have checked today and they are running the special offer at the moment, according to the question section this is the disc version so is a good price but obviously check before you buy.

The price of new games is ridiculous most new releases are £70, the good news is with it being 3 years old there are so many used games out there you will never need to buy one at full price if you dont want to ;)

1693667620728.png

Last edited:
I started with a ZX Spectrum, then had the Mega drive. I have had various PlayStation's and XBox . Had first playstation, first Xbox and Xbox 360 playstation 3 . Haven't had one since.
My eldest is 7 and he did mention it this year but I have been holding off..
I just like sports games(FIFA, Tiger Woods, Madden). Love the call of duty games and Forza Motorsport on the Xbox.

Latest posts

Back