Germolene taste ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sausagefingers

Reaction score
Don't know how to describe it really but I've done a muntons gold continental pilsner kit, everything went fine and it's been bottled for about 8 weeks now.
It's crystal clear and tastes fine going down but afterwards there's a taste of something like weak germolene left in the mouth. I've done a few kits using all the same gear and sanitiser but this is a first for me.
Do I just leave it and hope it goes away or is time to face facts and swill the lot?
Cheers

Sounds like an off flavour, does this sound about right?

"Medicinal

Tastes/Smells Like:
Cough syrup, mouthwash, Band-Aid™, smoke, clove-like (spicy)
Possible Causes:
A variety of different phenols are almost always the cause for medicinal flavors in beer.
Phenols can cause solvent, astringent, plastic and medicinal flavors. Medicinal-tasting
phenols are usually brought out during mashing and/or sparging and are caused by
incorrect pH levels, water amounts and temperatures. Using chlorine or iodine-based
sanitizers improperly can bring out Chlorophenols. Yeast also produces phenols, and
a clove-like characteristic is deliberate in some ale, especially Hefeweizen and other
wheat beers.
How to Avoid:
Follow proper mashing and sparging techniques and always follow the specific
directions for different sanitizers. Taking the same precautions to avoid Chlorophenols
and astringency should help to wipe out the chances of medicinal flavors. Always use
the proper yeast for the style of beer being brewed."

To add I have heard this related to wild yeast getting in or bad sanitation, obviously you're doing a kit so mashing and sparging is eliminated

afaik a common taste referred by many as a TCP flavour can be down to chlorine and chloromides either from the water supply or more comonly from insufficient rinsing when using a bleach/chlorine sanitiser.

a crushed campden tablet will dechlorinate upto 50l of water in advance of brewing and a sodium metabisulphate rinse after using chlorine based cleaners/sanitisers will again neutralise the chlorine.

However I use laundry oxi to clean without any soap detergent and chlorine, and starsan to sanitise after rinsing off the cleaner.. no bleach products in the brewing, no risk of tcp flavours.. :drunk:

Thanks for the replies, I've just tried one.
It looks great, smells fine,nice carbonation and good head, smells fine and tastes fine, it actually tastes very nice - except for this very slight taste that's left in the mouth.
I use tap water which has been fine for my previous attempts and a couple of brews I've done after this one and I use sodium metabisulphate. I'll leave it a few more weeks before trying another and if it's still there I'll have to swill the lot.
It looks like an infection of some sort and I suppose I've been lucky that this is the only bad batch I've turned out when I read some of the horror stories on here.
Oh well onwards and upwards and all that

Thanks again, much appreciated

Back