Closest CML match for Muntons gold yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all

As the title. I've "inherited" a few Muntons kits and am interested which CML yeast would be a best match for the gold yeast that accompanies the kit.
I hope it's not 4 as I've never been a fan. There's something about it that never tastes quite right, to me anyway.
I have used a single 6g sachet of Muntons before with good results but am curious what changes more/similar yeast would make.
Thanks in advance.

Cheers Tom

Morning Mr (or Mrs/Miss/It/Them, apologies if I've missed any out) Bag.

The kits in question are Old English Bitter and I'd be looking at maintaining the malty flavours

Cheers Tom

Muntons Gold seems to be a Nottingham derivative, and their "ordinary" is probably an EDME derivative like Windsor/S-33. So in CML terms you want Midland.

As an aside, there's lots of reports that S-04 "changed" a couple of years ago and is now much cleaner than it was, so you may want to give it another go some time.

🤣🤣Morning

Nottingham or dare I say four.

Windsor gets a bit more fruity/estery

Muntons Gold seems to be a Nottingham derivative, and their "ordinary" is probably an EDME derivative like Windsor/S-33. So in CML terms you want Midland.

As an aside, there's lots of reports that S-04 "changed" a couple of years ago and is now much cleaner than it was, so you may want to give it another go some time.

I asked CML the same question and not long had a reply.
They suggested 4 or WHC's Bond. I've always had good results with Nottingham but as 4 has been mentioned both here and by CML I may just give it another go, especially if it's been "tweaked".

Thanks all. Wise words as per usual 👍

Cheers Tom

Tom. There yeasts are so cheap you could go mad.

And of over there now to work out wtf WHC BOND is 🤔🤔

Last edited:
Even though the Muntons yeast are only 6g ,they are more than sufficient to ferment 23l , i have just bottled a stout using this yeast ,as i did last year ,and its done the job perfectly .

To be fair, I bought one of their Old English Bitters a while ago and just used the single sachet, it fermented out without a problem. So when I was gifted a couple more I am/was just curious if only 6g of yeast creates flavours that 11/12g wouldn't, overworked yeast and all that malarkey

Cheers Tom

Latest posts

Back